Even though I wasn’t around for the real-time ’70s and ’80s experience, I love seeing little hints of it here in 2023.
With Huntsville’s rich history, it’s only natural to have some groovy spots around town reminiscent of a retro era. Here are 11 spots where you can eat, drink, shop, have fun and experience the retro vibe of Huntsville.
Entertainment + recreation
If you’re trying to transport yourself to a whole other era, you’re going to need some entertainment. These three places help you catch the retro vibe while having fun.
- Starlight Arcade: Tucked inside Lowe Mill, you’ll find a little portal back in time in the form of Starlight Arcade. Pinball machines and arcade games line the walls for hours of retro fun.
- Muscle Shoals Sound Studio: This award-winning sound studio has an unmatched retro vibe—it’s an authentic sound studio that hosted The Rolling Stones and more famous artists in the ’70s.
- The Fitzgerald Pilates: If you’re looking to get moving, Fitzgerald Pilates’ new location in Stovehouse is one of the most fun spots to go. Their retro branding and decorations make for a fitness experience unlike any other.
While you’re spending time in the retro parts of Huntsville, you’re going to want a souvenir. These four places have you covered.
- Clinton Row Shops: You can get lost inside the halls of Clinton Row with all the unique small businesses inside. Some of our favorites for vintage finds are AM Collective and One Man’s Vintage.
- Retro-Fitt Boutique: Another Lowe Mill find is Retro-Fitt Boutique, where you can get all kinds of vintage-inspired clothing, including pinup, goth, steampunk and rockabilly styles.
- Flucy Lucy: This antique store is a favorite of locals for its unique finds and unforgettable retro vibe.
- Replay Toys: At Replay Toys, you can find some of the most nostalgic and wacky (in a good way) vintage collectibles.
Food + drink
And if you’re hungry while exploring everything retro in Huntsville, you can keep with the theme at these three spots for coffee, eats and sweets.
- Oscar Moon’s: Even though this milkshake spot opened in the recent past, it takes you back in time with its retro soda fountain feel. They have some of the most fun seasonal flavors and even hot chocolate to keep you warm during the chilly months!
- ToyBox Bistro: This is Huntsville’s spot to “eat, drink and be nerdy,” with their retro, fun atmosphere and out-of-the-box menu items.
- Offbeat Coffee: Where else in Huntsville can you browse records and order coffee within a 10-foot radius? Offbeat Coffee’s retro vibe and incredible coffee creations are a must-experience.
- Pints & Pixels: This one could have gone in the “Entertainment + recreation” category, too, because it’s a place for both good eats and good times. Pints & Pixels serves up classic pub grub and plenty of drinks (wine, craft beers, milkshakes and handcrafted sodas), and they also have lots of retro arcade games.
Want updates like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter today.