This week is National Police Week, and the Huntsville Police Department commemorated the occasion by honoring 12 fallen police officers from the Huntsville PD.
Chief Kirk Giles and Command Staff honored HPD’s fallen officers along with the Huntsville Police Citizens Foundation, Mayor Tommy Battle, Alabama State Representative Rex Reynolds and Huntsville City Council members.
Making the ‘ultimate sacrifice’
The memorial service has been an annual event each May at the Fallen Officer Memorial downtown. HPD’s Fallen Officer Memorial was built by the Huntsville Police Citizens Foundation, a nonprofit funded by a diverse group of citizens and businesses in the community. The foundation provides immediate assistance to families of HPD officers during emergencies.
“By being here today, we ensure that we remember their names and the sacrifices they made for each of us. We show our appreciation for their heroism and we must remember that public safety, freedom and prosperity come with a high price.”Huntsvlle Police Chief Kirk Giles
The 12 officers honored
The memorial service honored the 12 Huntsville PD officers who have died in the line of duty, spanning from Officer William J. Street in 1883 to Agent Billy Fred Clardy III in 2019.
Below is a list of the 12 HPD officers who lost their lives in the line of duty:
- Officer William J. Street – End of Watch, Monday, Oct. 8, 1883
- Officer Frank McKissack – End of Watch, Friday, May 26, 1916
- Officer Ewell B. Starr – End of Watch, Saturday, Dec. 5, 1953
- Officer Alan S. Logel, Jr. – End of Watch, Monday, Nov. 19, 1956
- Officer Charles E. Drake, Jr. – End of Watch, Monday, July 23, 1962
- Officer Preston R. Butler – End of Watch, Friday, June 3, 1966
- Officer William T. Gaskin – End of Watch, Tuesday, Aug. 27, 1968
- Officer Billy Fred Clardy, Jr. – End of Watch, Wednesday, May 3, 1978
- Officer Daniel Howard Golden – End of Watch, Monday, Aug. 29, 2005
- Officer William Eric Freeman – End of Watch, Saturday, Dec. 15, 2007
- Officer Keith O’Neal Earle – End of Watch, Monday, April 9, 2018
- Agent Billy Fred Clardy III – End of Watch, Friday, Dec. 6, 2019
Follow Hville Blast on Facebook and Instagram, and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss announcements on what’s happening in and around Huntsville.
You must be logged in to post a comment.