Anyone who says they have nothing to do this weekend in Huntsville either doesn’t want to do anything, or simply is not looking in the right place. Because the weekend of May 6-8 is full of events to keep you busy. And with Mother’s Day this Sunday, surely one of these events is a mom-friendly event.
Whether you are looking for music, sports, craft beer, educational adventures or other entertainment opportunities, the Rocket City has you covered this weekend. Check out our weekend roundup.
Sporting events in and around Huntsville
For the sports fan, the Huntsville area has plenty of events on the calendar this weekend, from baseball to water polo and so much in between.
Here are a few events to check out:
- Rocket City Trash Pandas vs. Chattanooga Lookouts: Toyota Field, May 6-7 at 6:35PM, May 8 at 2:30PM
- American Junior Golf Association (AJGA) Huntsville Junior Championships: Huntsville Country Club, May 6-8 with tee times running 7:30AM – 11:40AM each morning.
- The ASUN Men’s Lacrosse Championship: Milton Frank Stadium May 5 and May 7. The Championship Semifinals will take place Thursday, May 5 where The University of Utah will take on Bellarmine University at 1PM followed by Robert Morris University taking on the United States Air Force Academy at 4PM. The winners of each semifinal game will face off Saturday, May 7 at 1PM for the Championship Final.
- Women’s National Collegiate Water Polo Club Championship: Huntsville Aquatics Center, May 6 – 8 with 16 teams from across the nation competing for the national title. Teams competing in seed order are University of Florida, University of California – Berkeley, University of California San Diego, University of Notre Dame, University of Oregon, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston College, University of Michigan, Colorado State University, Pennsylvania State University, Texas A&M University, University of Virginia, University of California Santa Barbara, University of Central Florida, Arizona State University and Grand Valley State University.
A full slate of live Music in the Rocket City
From bar bands to outdoor concerts to a full-on music festival, there’s a bevy of live music to see and hear in the Huntsville area this weekend.
Here are just a few live music events happening over the next few days:
- Concerts at the Dock: Friday, May 6 at Lowe Mill, 6PM-9PM featuring The Blips
- PorchFest: Pratt Avenue, 5 Points, 6PM-10PM, Bring a blanket, camp chairs, friends and money for tips and food trucks. Five porches on Pratt Avenue in Five Points Historic District will host musicians from Huntsville, Nashville and the Shoals.
- 33rd Annual Huntsville Classic: Orion Amphitheater featuring Jake Owen; 8PM.
- Unique Live Band: Stovehouse, May 7, 7PM.
- Copper Top May Slay: Copper Top Dive N Dine, 7PM, featuring Crown the Sinner, Lua Sol, Power Sink.
How about some tech events?
For the technologically inclined, check out this event at HudsonAlpha this wekend:
“HATCH,” also known as The HudsonAlpha Tech Challenge, will be held at the Propst Center, 800 Hudson Way, Huntsville, AL 35806, on the campus of the HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology in Cummings Research Park.
The HudsonAlpha Tech Challenge is a hackathon hosted by the HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology. During this event, teams take on exciting challenges in biotech and attempt to solve those challenges through innovation and creativity. Participants will have the opportunity to learn more about some of the new frontiers in biotech and work collaboratively to create solutions. More than $5,000 in cash and prizes will be up for grabs in the event.
Pet-related events in Huntsville
A couple of animal-related events are on the schedule in Huntsville this weekend:
- Huntsville Exotic Pet Expo: Huntsville JAYCEE’S Building, Saturday 9AM-5PM, Sunday 10AM-4PM. Snakes, lizards, spiders, feeder rodents and bugs, supplies, parrots, hedgehogs, sugar gliders, and other exotic pets are just a few of the things you’ll see at the exotic pet expo.
- Rocket City Kittypalooza 2022: Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment, May 7, 11AM-9PM. Cattyshack, Inc. is inviting the cat loving community to shop their way through the historic grounds of Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment. The event aims to spread awareness about the significance of spaying and neutering pets, barn cats, strays and ferals.
Sample some great craft beer at Rocket City Brewfest
Beer lovers, welcome to Utopia. The 2022 Rocket City Brewfest at the Redstone Arsenal Activity Field features the best craft beers available in the Alabama markets on tap to sample.
Rocket City Brewfest runs from 3PM to 7PM.