Okay, Huntsvillians, the weekend is approaching and it’s time to look at what’s happening in and around the Rocket City over the next few days.
This weekend features some great stand-up comedy, live music and minor league baseball, among many more events in Huntsville. Check out our weekend guide below!
From local favorites to some pretty unique and talented tribute bands, here are some of the live music events in Huntsville happening this weekend:
- King’s Haze & Peruvian Coin: Aug. 5, Sidetracks Music Hall, 7PM. Check out this improvisational funk, rock, blues, and reggae influenced power trio.
- Matt Prater Band: Aug. 6, The Stovehouse, 7PM. Enjoy the country, folk and southern sounds of Matt Prater, a singer songwriter from North Alabama.
- Powerslave: Aug. 6, Shagnasty’s Grubbery & Pour House, 8PM. Fans of legendary metal band Iron Maiden can rock to this incredible Maiden tribute band.
- Purple Xperience: Aug. 6, Furniture Factory Bar & Grill, 7PM. Enjoy the greatest and most authentic production of Prince and The Revolution!
- April Pendergrass Band: Aug. 7, Humphrey’s Bar & Grill, 6PM. Huntsville’s own singer/songwriter April Pendergrass is back at Humphrey’s.
Sports & fitness
There are several sports and recreation events in Huntsvile happening this weekend, including Trash Pandas baseball, a banana pudding eating contest (okay, this may or may not be considered “sports”) and free lacrosse lessons:
- Trash Pandas vs. Tennessee Smokies: Aug. 5-7, Toyota Field, 6:30PM Friday and Saturday, 2:30PM Sunday. The Rocket City Trash Pandas wrap up their series with the Tennessee Smokies this weekend.
- 2022 Major League Eating World Banana Pudding Championship: Aug. 5, CrossPointe Church, 6PM. See the country’s top professional eaters compete for a new banana pudding eating world record!
- Huntsville Sprint Triathlon: Aug. 6, Huntsville Aquatics Center, 7AM. Athletes will begin the race with a 400m pool swim consisting of 8 lengths of a 50m pool. They will then transition to their bikes for a 7 mile ride. The bike course features a coned off bike lane for racers only. After the ride, athletes will complete the race with a 5k run.
- 21st Annual John Riche Memorial Golf Classic: Aug. 6, Colonial Golf Course, 7:30AM. The 100 Black Men of Greater Huntsville, Inc present its 21st Annual John Riche Memorial Golf Classic to raise money for scholarships.
- Learn to Play Lacrosse: Aug. 6, Madison LAX Field, 7AM. This is a free event for anyone wanting to learn how to play lacrosse, one of the fastest-growing sports in the country.
Comedy, food festivals, parties
Some pretty big names in comedy have graced the Rocket City lately, and this weekend is no exception as D.L. Hughley comes to Huntsville Sunday night. Here are few more events in Huntsville you may want to check out:
- Flavor Fest 2022: Aug. 6, Jaycee Community Building, 10AM – 6PM. Flavor Fest is a two-fold event that will consist of a vendor expo from 10:00 am till 3:00 pm and “The Big Showdown” chef competition.
- Back to School Block Party: Aug 6, Downtown Huntsville, 10AM. Celebrate the beginning of a new school year for Huntsville kids with music, games, food and family fun!
- Wing Fest: Aug. 6, Madison County High School, 5PM. Come to this Wing competition with 12-16 local cooks, a kid zone with bouncy houses and slides, over 30 local vendors selling a variety of items, music, cornhole tournament, and lots of fun.
- Casino Night: Aug. 6, The Stovehouse, 6:30PM. This event will benefit programs for Seniors provided by the Huntsville-Madison County Senior Center. It includes casino games, lively music and dancing, delicious food, an over-the-top dessert bar as well as a wine pull and a whiskey draw.
- D.L. Hughley: Aug. 7, Stand Up Live, 6PM. Laugh along with television, film and stand-up comedy star D.L. Hughley.
What are you going to get into this weekend? Let us know! And follow Hville Blast on Facebook, TikTok and Instagram, and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss announcements on what’s happening in and around Huntsville.