Well, Huntsvillians, the weekend is almost upon us and you need to start thinking about what you’re going to do for fun. Luckily, there are a bunch of cool things to do this weekend in the Rocket City.
Take a look at these suggestions:
There’s always plenty of good live music to see and hear in the Huntsville area, and this weekend is no exception. Here are a few shows to head to if you are so inclined:
- Corey Smith: June 23, Furniture Factory, 7PM. If you are looking for cool things to do this weekend in a cool place, there’s nothing like seeing a great musician play at a super-cool venue like Furniture Factory.
- Sipsey Falls: June 23, The Brick (Decatur), 7PM. The brick not only has some darn good food, but it’s a great place to see live music, and this high energy country band is perfect for this venue.
- Southern Outline: June 24, Stovehouse, 7PM. Head to Stovehouse Saturday night for some rock and roll from this North Alabama group.
- Microwave Dave: June 25, Humphrey’s Bar & Grill, 11AM. Enjoy Sunday brunch with the cool sounds of legendary Huntsville musician Microwave Dave.
- Amy Grant: June 25, Mark C. Smith Concert Hall, 7:30PM. The beloved singer is here in the Rocket City after having to postpone her show from several months ago.
Festivals, Theater, Family Events
Throughout the Huntsville area, you can find a variety of cool things to do this weekend — events, markets, festivals, exhibits and more. You just need to know where to look. Well, here you go:
- Athens Lions Club 2023 Kiddie Carnival: June 22-July 29, 309 E Forrest St. (Athens), 6:30PM. Every Thursday through Saturday until July 29, you can enjoy the Kiddie Carnival, complete with a ferris wheel, train, swings, carousel, rocket ships, scrambler, parachute ride and mini roller coaster.
- Lego Extravaganza: June 23-25, Early Works Museum, 10AM. The Tennessee Valley Lego Club will be taking over the museum with creative play brick tables, a racer’s track to build and race Lego cars, and special displays throughout the museum.
- Beauty & the Beast: June 23-25, Lee High School, Fri. 7PM, Sat. 2PM, 7PM, Sun. 2PM. The classic Disney musical is brought to the stage by Independent Musical Productions.
- Stomp Out HIV Festival: June 24, Big Spring Park, 12-5PM. This event is free and open to the public. There will be food trucks, live music, drumline performances, dance groups, face painting and other fun activities.
- Karen Mills: June 25, Stand Up Live, 6PM. The comedy of Karen Mills is a straight-forward approach to the realities of life will keep you laughing at yourself as you relate to her experiences.
Sports + Fitness
We have baseball, pro wrestling, outdoor fitness classes and more happening in the Rocket City this weekend:
- Trash Pandas vs. Biscuits: June 23-25, Toyota Field, Fri. 6:30PM, Sat. 4PM (doubleheader), Sun. 4PM. The Trash Pandas host Montgomery for 4 games this weekend.
- Fitness in the Park: June 24, Big Spring Park, 9AM. This weekend’s free fitness class is led by CrossFit Impulse.
- Yoga By the River: June 24, Hays Nature Preserve, 8AM. Enjoy a relaxing, yet energizing hour of yoga next to the gently flowing waters of the Flint River.
- Gamechanger Wrestling: June 24, Von Braun Center, 7PM. Catch live pro wrestling this Saturday at the VBC.
- Huntsville City FC Watch Party: June 25, Fractal Brewing Project, 4PM. Cheer on the Huntsville City FC from Fractal Brewing where they will have the game televised.