Hey Huntsvillians, the weekend is almost upon us and there’s plenty of activity happening in and around the Rocket City over the next few days.
Five festivals are on the schedule for the weekend — a 2-day music festival, a sneaker festival, an arts festival, a beer and food fest and a health and wellness festival — and you could conceivably attend all five if you so desire. There’s also plenty more to do in the area. Check out what’s happening:
Get ready for some quality live music in and around Huntsville this weekend, including a 2-day festival taking place at Gold Sprint Coffee and Sidetracks Music Hall. Check this out:
- Sluice Fest: Aug. 12-14, Gold Sprint Coffee, Sidetracks Music Hall. Check out this awesome 2-day festival that celebrates Sluice Fanzine, a Huntsville zine based around music/art/community.
- Gospel Music Jubilee: Aug. 12, Event Center at Roto Rooter, 6PM. Chronicle Gospel Group will be on hand for a fabulous spiritual and musical event.
- Sam Lewis: Aug. 12, Humphrey’s Bar & Grill, 5PM. Enjoy tunes by this Alabama musician who ranges in the genres of bluegrass, blues and soulful jazz.
- Measures of Loud: Aug. 13, Rocket Republic Brewing, 6:30PM. Ready for some rock and roll? These guys play everything from Chuck Berry, David Bowie and Bo Diddley to the Rolling Stones, Elvis and Talking Heads.
- Anthony Sharp: Aug. 13, Fractal Brewing, 6PM. Stop in for a fun night of music with Antony Sharpe, local singer/songwriter and frontman for rock combo, Toy Shop.
Arts, food + drink
Did we mention there are a bunch of festivals happening this weekend? Well, head downtown for OktobeeZrfest for beer, food and live music, or check out the Valley Arts Festival at The Camp! Here’s a handful of stuff happening in Huntsville this weekend:
- Valley Arts Festival: Aug. 13, The Camp at MidTow, 1PM – 11PM. Make plans to hang out at The Camp for The Valley Arts Festival, featuring vendors, food trucks, live music and more!
- Sole Train Sneaker Festival: Aug. 13, National Speleological Society, 12PM – 6PM. There will be vendors selling items from sneakers, custom clothing, sneaker cleaners, vintage clothing and more at this family-friendly event.
- OktobeeZrfest: Aug. 13-14, BeeZr, Sat. 12PM – 10PM, Sun. 12PM-6PM. This 2-day event includes beer, food, live music and more in downtown Huntsville.
- Auditions: A Christmas Story: Aug. 13, Theatre Huntsville Studio Theatre, 10AM – 3PM. Adults and children can audition for parts in the production of humorist Jean Shepherd’s memoir of growing up in the midwest in the 1940s.
- Black Business Expo: Aug. 13, Times Building, 3PM-8PM. Meekel Buchanon and Vicki Morris are bringing back this popular event, which is free to attend simply because they want to encourage you to spend money with some of the elite businesses showcased in the Expo.
Health + fitness
Want to attend a health and wellness festival this weekend? How about taking in some stock car racing? We have to covered in Huntsville this weekend:
- Community Fun & Wellness Festival: Aug. 13, Dr. Richard Showers Recreational Center, 9AM – 12PM. The festival celebrates the accomplishments of community health centers- while raising awareness of the many services available at their clinics.
- Race Day at Huntsville Speedway: Aug, 13, Huntsville Speedway, 4PM. Check out some awesome racing at the Huntsville Speedway, with qualifying beginning at 4PM.
- 5th End Addiction HSV Walk: Aug. 13, Big Spring Park, 9AM. This is a free event and all are welcome to participate in support of anyone impacted by the disease of addiction.
- ADO Darts Qualifier: Aug. 13, Copper Top Grill, 12:30PM. The American Darts Organization qualifier tournament is at Copper Top this Saturday!
- Learn to Curl: Aug. 14, Huntsvile Ice Sports Center, 4:30PM-6PM. Learn how to curl, one of the fastest-growing Olympic sports in the world with the Rocket City Curling Club.