Saturday, Nov. 5 is National Donut Day, if you didn’t know (and I don’t blame you if you didn’t, but aren’t you glad you know now?). And it’s hard to find any sane person who doesn’t like donuts — or doughnuts or do-nuts depending on where you are.
The origin of donuts is still unknown, but archaeologists say that fossilized remnants of at least some form of donuts have turned up from prehistoric Native American settlements (that’s what the Smithsonian says, anyway). There are multiple forms the doughnut can take , but each is delicious in its own way. So, where are some good places in the Huntsville area to celebrate National Donut Day?
Glad you asked:
Head to Meridianville to grab yourself some K-May Donuts, as folks have been raving about this place since I moved to Huntsville early this year. I made a visit there in September and — holy smokes — I am definitely a fan.
- Location: 11987 US-231 431 N, Meridianville, AL 35759
- Hours: Sat. – Thurs. 5AM – 4:30PM
- What you may want to try: Lemon-filled glazed
Bigfoot’s Little Donuts
Bigfoot’s Little Donuts — whether you go to the Huntsville location or the Madison location — is a unique doughnut experience because these are bite-sized donuts, not much bigger in circumference than a silver dollar. So yeah, you’ll order several. And after you try them, you’ll want several more!
- Location: Huntsville – 7914 Memorial Pkwy SW Suite A5; Madison – 12181 County Line Road
- Hours: Mon. – Wed. 6:30AM – 1PM; Thurs. – Sat. 6:30AM – 6:30PM
- What you may want to try: Chocolate buttercream
This doughnut chain is pretty well-known throughout the South, but only has two locations in Alabama — one being in Huntsville. There are so many different flavors and types of doughnuts, you will be amazed. And, you’ll have a hard time deciding which one you want!
- Location: 2500 Clinton Ave W Ste B
- Hours: Mon. – Sun. 6:30AM – 4PM
- What you may want to try: Maple bacon
Like some of these places I have mentioned, WOW has a variety of styles and flavors of doughnuts, which is great because it gives you an excuse to keep coming back to try more!
- Location:11156 County line road Suite H Madison, AL
- Hours: Tue. – Fri. 5AM – 1PM, Sat. – Sun. 7AM – 1PM
- What you may want to try: Raspberry cream filled
Come on, you didn’t REALLY think I would make a list of good doughnut shops and leave out Krispy Kreme, did you? It’s just hard to beat a Krispy Kreme doughnut fresh off the line, and they’ve been doing it an awfully long time. No need to get fancy here, as the basics are the best.
- Location: 1218 N Memorial Parkway
- Hours: Mon. – Thurs. 6AM – 10PM, Fri. – Sat. 6AM – 11PM
- What you may want to try: Original glazed. That’s it.
Where do you think is the best spot to celebrate National Donut Day? Let us know on Facebook, TikTok and Instagram, and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss announcements on what’s happening in and around Huntsville.