Immerse yourself in the charm of the quaint downtown Athens, Alabama adorned with ’50s-inspired spots.
Visit Athens to see for yourself why these classic spots have been cherished for years, and they’re not going anywhere.
1. Kreme Delite
Kreme Delite has stood proudly in Athens since 1951. This retro, walk-up dairy bar is always packed in the summer with people lining up for soft serve, milkshakes and hotdogs.
- Location: 401 W Washington St, Athens, AL 35611
- Hours: Sunday-Thursday 11AM-8PM | Friday-Saturday 11AM-9PM
2. Gulf Gas Station (aka College Inn/Newby Gulf Station Museum)
Located just across from the Duck Pond stands the Newby Gulf Station Museum, a restored full service station built in the 1930s according to Visit Athens. It’s one of the only of its kind in the state that is still standing, and it’s now a museum.
- Call 256-233-8728 to schedule a tour of the museum
3. U.G. White Mercantile
U.G. White is the ultimate old-timey spot in Athens. (Elizabeth Hobbs / Hville Blast)
U.G. White has been one of my favorite spots to explore since I was a kid. There aren’t any modern goods here—shop a variety of provisions, dry goods, gear, vintage toys, merch and more. This mercantile has been an icon of downtown for over a century.
There’s also a cute, retro coffee bar, Hi-Plane Coffee inside. Sip on some freshly roasted coffee while imaging you’ve stepped back in time.
- Location: 101 N Jefferson St, Athens, AL 35611
- Hours: Monday-Wednesday 7AM-6PM | Thursday-Saturday 7AM-8PM
- Website | Instagram | Facebook
4. Limestone Drug
In true old-fashioned style, there’s an original ice cream counter inside this corner-of-the-block pharmacy. They sell a variety of ice creams and shakes at the counter set in front of a gorgeous original built-in.
- Location: 200 Market St W, Athens, AL 35611
- Hours: Monday-Friday 7:30AM-6PM | Saturday 7:30AM-2PM | Sunday 9AM-2PM
5. Limestone Legends Billiards
Pool, anyone? This quaint billiards lounge in downtown is a hub for hanging out, enjoying a cold beverage, listening to live music and brushing up on your pool skills.
- Location: 111 S Marion St, Athens, AL 35611
- Hours: Tuesday-Thursday 4PM-12AM | Friday 4PM-1AM | Saturday 3PM-1AM
6. Vinyl Revival
Browse a collection of ’50s music and other classic oldies at Vinyl Revival. (Elizabeth Hobbs / Hville Blast)
Round off your retro Athens day with a stop by the locally-owned record shop. You’ll find all the oldies and plenty of good vibes here.
7. Timeless Athens Restaurants
Wildwood Deli, Ro’s Grille, and Washington Street Diner will make you feel like you’re stepping back in time. (Elizabeth Hobbs / Hville Blast)
Athens is home to several classic, timeless restaurants that have been loved for years. Satisfy your hunger with any of these locally-owned restaurant favorites.
- Dubs Burgers | a beloved burger joint open since 1961
- Washington Street Diner | classic Southern breakfast, lunch, sandwiches and fixin’s
- Ro’s Grille | family favorite for lunch and dinner with hefty portions and a variety of tasty meals
- Wildwood Deli | a quaint deli in the heart of downtown with fresh and tasty sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs and more