Tina Cooley has been in the cat rescue business for decades, but it was two years ago that her vision for opening a cat lounge came to fruition in Huntsville’s Lowe Mill.
Cattyshack Lounge lets cat lovers enjoy quality time with adoptable cats in the lounge, and gives the cats a chance to find forever homes.
How does a cat lounge work?
The Cattyshack Lounge, located at Lowe Mill, 2211 Seminole Drive, Studio 1062, Huntsville, AL 35805, is a resource for fundraising and socializing, and also a way to increase cat adoptions.
I’ve always been a cat person. I have been involved in cat rescue since 2007 and always wanted to open my own cat lounge but was going to wait until I retired. But then I figured, ‘Why wait until I retire?’ So here we are. We have been here two years.”Tina Cooley, founder, Cattyshack Lounge
Here’s how it works:
- Make a reservation online (reservations are for one hour, and can be for up to 12 people)
- Make a minimum $10 donation (The donation you make for your reservation includes a beverage and a pre-packaged snack and goes right back into their rescue to pay vet bills and buy food, litter and medications)
- Touching and handling the cats are not only allowed but encouraged, but please follow the rules.
If you find a feline friend you want to take home with you, you certainly can. But you need to follow the application process.
- Cattyshack adoptions involve filling out a non-binding application. No same-day adoptions are made inside the lounge, so please plan on coming back to pick up your kitty at a later date once your application is approved.
- Cattyshack will do a vet check to make sure any current animals you own are up to date on vaccines and spayed/neutered, so go ahead and get that done before you even bother with an application.
- The lounge will also confirm with the vet that any previous animals you owned were up to date, spayed/neutered, and not declawed.
- The cat adoption fee is a flat $95, no matter age or breed.
More than 200 cat adoptions and counting…
In less than two years, Cooley and her organization have facilitated the adoption of 273 cats. While the Cattyshack Lounge is designed to allow humans to relax, decompress,and enjoy everything from bouncy kittens to fat furry lugs, finding homes for these cats is the ultimate objective.
There are several ways to help Cattyshack Lounge in addition to providing a forever home for a cat. And as outlined above, the process for adopting a cat is more involved than just walking in to the lounge and going home with a cat. Cooley screens the applicants thoroughly before homing a cat.
Another way to help out is to volunteer. Cooley said Cattyshack Lounge is always looking for volunteers to work the lounge during the day.
Fundraising events this weekend
Two big fundraisers are scheduled this weekend that will benefit Cattyshack Lounge:
Rocket City Kittypalooza 2022
Cattyshack, Inc. is inviting the cat loving community to shop their way through the historic grounds of Lowe Mill on May 7 from 11AM-9PM. The itinerary includes an adoption event, 20-minute cuddles with cats, t-shirt making and kitty yoga.
The Yarn Ball
Dragon’s Forge Cafe and Ravenwood Meadery will host a formal masquerade ball benefiting Cattyshack on the 2nd floor of Lowe Mill from 6PM to 9PM. The Yarn Ball requires a $5 cover charge at the door, which goes directly to our rescue. If you won a handcrafted cat mask at the silent auction on April 23, your mask gives you free entry. There will be music, laser lights, a photo booth, and a $1 raffle fundraiser