The first weekend of June is upon us, and as kids are out of school and the weather heats up, the Rocket City weekend of events calendar fills up. The next few days are full of cool events happening in and around Huntsville.
Check out what’s happening this weekend in the Rocket City:
If attending the longest-running and largest cigar box guitar festival in the world is not enough for you, there is also plenty of live music happening all over town:
- Fly2K: June 2, Stovehouse, 6PM. Kicking off our cool weekend of events is this high energy, dance-infused performance, showcasing the most beloved pop, hip-hop and R&B hits from the 90s into the 2000s.
- Huntsville Choral Festival 2023: June 3, 5:30PM. This amazing concert will be directed by none other than the internationally known conductor and clinician, Dr. Jeffrey Allen Murdock. It’s a free event and if it is anything like last year’s amazing performance, it will be unforgettable.
- Cigar Box Guitar Festival: June 2-4, Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment, 11AM. Check out the 19th Annual Cigar Box Guitar Festival, the longest running CBG festival in the world!
- Sunday Jazz Jams: June 4, Yellowhammer Brewing, 3PM. Enjoy some fantastic local brews, grab a oven-fired pizza and kick back with some jazz music at Yellowhammer!
- Weezer/Modest Mouse/Momma: June 4, Orion Amphitheater, 7PM. Weezer headlines an evening with indie legends Modest Mouse and Momma, closing out an unforgettable weekend of events here in Huntsville.
Shows, Expos, Family Events
So much is happening here in the Rocket City, and these events listed below only scratch the surface. Part of our exciting weekend of events happening in town is the opening of our newest nature preserve, and the Botabical garden’s big Wedding Expo!
- 2023 Annual Pride Parade: June 3, Downtown Huntsville, 9AM. Rocket City Pride celebrates the LGBTQ+ community in Huntsville, and is hosting this march to kick off Pride Month 2023!
- Hickory Cove Nature Preserve Opening: June 3, Hickory Nature Preserve, 9AM. Get your first look at the newest Land Trust of North Alabama nature preserve, right here in Huntsville!
- Wally Vess Youth Fishing Rodeo: June 3, Brahan Spring Park North Lagoon, 8AM. Kids age 6-12 can enjoy a morning of free fishing and the chance to win dozens of special prizes at the Wally Vess Youth Fishing Rodeo.
- Huntsville Botanical Garden Wedding Expo: June 4, Huntsville Botanical Garden, 12PM. Whether you are recently engaged or about to tie the knot, come out to the HBG Wedding Expo, where there will be vendors, industry experts, caterers and more to help you plan!
- Justin Whitehead: June 4, Stand Up Live, 6PM. This hilarious comic from Georgia is an up-and-coming star in the stand-up scene.
Sports + Fitness
Whether you want to get in on some sporting events as a spectator or as a participant, you can find something happening among the weekend of events here in town:
- Bikes + Brews: June 2, Straight to Ale, 6PM. This is a slow, social bike ride around the city, starting at Straight to Ale Brewing and making stops at the Nook, Shenanigans and more!
- Fitness in the Park: June 3, Big Spring Park, 9AM. This weekend is Kardio Dance Fitness with Karissa! Come get fit for free!
- Yoga by the River: June 3, Hays Nature Preserve, 8AM. All levels of yoga experience are welcome for this free class by the Flint River at Hays Nature Preserve.
- AEW Pro Wrestling: June 3, Von Braun Center Propst Arena, 7PM. Come out for some fun and intense pro wrestling with the All Elite Wrestling stars.
- Huntsville City FC: May 4, Joe Davis Stadium, 6PM. Cheer on your hometown soccer team, the Huntsville City Football Club as they take on NYC!