Most Huntsvillians already know that the new Orion Amphitheater opens this weekend with the First Waltz music festival. But that is not the only event happening in and around Huntsville this weekend.
The weekend of May 13-15 is packed full of sporting events, festivals and live music events for just about anyone to enjoy. You just have to know where to find them. And Hville Blast is here to be your guide. So check out these events!
Of course, there is always plenty of live music in the Huntsville area every weekend, but here are a few of the events happening in the Rocket City over the next few days:
- First Waltz: Orion Amphitheater, May 13-15 (featuring Jason Isbell, Brittany Howard, Drive-by Truckers, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, Emmylou Harris and more!
- Lowe Mill Concerts on the Dock featuring Nassa Samba: May 13, 6PM, Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment.
- Common Man Duo: Stovehouse, May 14, 7PM
- The Zooks: May 14, Rocket Republic Brewing, 7PM
- Out Loud Huntsville Open Mic: May 15, Straight to Ale, 6PM
The Rocket City Trash Pandas are on the road this weekend, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be some sports and outdoor activities to attend in the area. Here are some you should check out:
- AHSAA State Soccer Championships: May 12-14, John Hunt Park. Beginning at 11AM Thursday, the top boys and girls high school soccer teams will compete for their state titles.
- Dragon Boat Race & Festival: May 14, Point Mallard Aquatic Center. 1,200 paddlers across almost 50 teams will take to the water to support the Decatur Morgan Hospital Foundation. Crews will race an authentic 46-foot-long Hong Kong-style dragon boat in at least two races on the 250-meter course.
- Huntsville Women’s Rugby Club Free Rugby Clinic: May 14, 5283 Triana Blvd SW, Huntsville, AL 35805-5891. Come learn the basics of rugby and meet the club at Mad Malts Brewing after for brews and socializing.
- Kettle Bottom Trail Work at 5 Points: May 14, 9AM-1PM, Durham Road. Come help assist with some tread work, corridor and drainage clearing on the Kettle Bottom trail at the Five Points Trail System.
- Fishing Rodeo: May 14, Sharon Johnston Park, New Market, 7:30AM-2PM. This classic car show and fishing rodeo is a family event with bouncy houses, face painting, petting zoo, barrel train rides, food trucks, market vendors, swap meet vendors, antique tractors, fire engine, live music and more.
Festivals and Markets
There is no shortage of farmers markets in the Huntsville area, which we featured recently on Hville Blast, but here are a few more festivals and markets to hit this weekend:
- Delta Waterfowl of North Alabama Crawfish Boil: May 14, 2PM, Ditto Landing. Delta Waterfowl is an organization dedicated to helping preserve water fowl and conservation land. The North Alabama chapter of the organization is hosting a Crawfish Boil fundraiser to ensure our land and beloved ducks can be saved. As construction and deterioration of wetlands grow, the importance of preserving wildlife increases.
- FIDO Fest: Bridge Street Town Centre, May 14, 11AM-2PM. Live music from Brandon Morris, food + drink, pet-friendly vendors, Splash Zones for the pups and much more. Proceeds benefit the Greater Huntsville Humane Society.
- Rocket City BBQ & Soul Fest: May 14, 11AM, NSS Conference Center. This is a family-friendly day of food, fun, music and sunshine.
- Spring Market & Craft Fair: May 14, 10AM, Hope Valley Bible Church. This market features vendor booths, food trucks, live music, kids activities, car show, local crafters and more.
- Camp to Amp Festival: May 14, 12PM-6PM. MidCity District. Celebrate the opening of the Orion Amphitheater with amazing food, tasty beverages, 3 stages with 20 performances, over 50 local non-profits and vendors, activities for the kids and kids at heart, food trucks, art, murals, and more!
Follow Hville Blast on Facebook and Instagram, and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss announcements on what’s happening in and around Huntsville.
You must be logged in to post a comment.