The list of recent accolades bestowed upon Huntsville seems to get longer every week in recent years, and the list may get longer, as USA Today has listed the Huntsville International Airport as a nominee for the Best Small Airport in the U.S.
HSV was listed among 10 small airports in the publication, and readers have the opportunity to vote for the best. Perhaps the Huntsville airport will emerge as the nation’s best?
USA Today’s Best Small Airport list
The airport list is part of USA Today’s “10 Best” series that includes a group of nominees chosen by industry experts in order to narrow down the top 10 list.
The airport list right now includes 20 small airports nominated as the best in the U.S. by an expert panel — these are airports that serve smaller numbers of passengers each year, yet excel with their commercial flight offerings, easy access and amenities.
The 20 nominees are:
- Huntsville International Airport, Huntsville, Ala.
- Gerald Ford Airport, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Myrtle Beach International Airport, Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- Long Island MacArthur Airport, Ronkonkoma. N.Y.
- Manchester-Boston Regional Airport, Manchester, N.H.
- Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport, Wichita, Kan.
- T.F. Green Airport, Warwick, R.I.
- Blue Grass Airport, Lexington, Ky.
- Long Beach Airport, Long Beach, Cal.
- Piedmont Triad International Airport, Greensboro, N.C.
- Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport, Belgrade, Mont.
- Dane County Regional Airport, Madison, Wisc.
- Pensacola International Airport, Pensacola, Fla.
- Key West International Airport, Key West, Fla.
- Jackson Hole Airport, Jackson, Wyo.
- Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport, Kalaoa, Hawaii
- Frederick Douglass Greater Rochester International Airport, Rochester, N.Y.
- Des Moines International Airport, Des Moines, Iowa
- Will Rogers Airport, Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Patrick Leahy Burlington International Airport, South Burlington, Vt.
How the Huntsville airport can win
USA Today’s description of HSV paints a picture of an airport that is large enough to offer a variety of flight options but small enough to get through easily.
“The airport is easy to navigate, with an on-site hotel and a nice range of food and beverage options, including a beer garden with local craft brews.”USA Today on the Huntsville International Airport
Readers can vote once per day until polls close on Monday, Oct. 2 at 11AM. The 10 winning airports will be announced on Friday, Oct. 13. You can vote on the USA Today 10Best site.