New greenway approved for west Huntsville

greenway
The new Miller Branch Greenway will be part of Singing River Trail. (City of Huntsville)

Huntsville is already home to some beautiful and fully accessible greenways all over town, and residents are about to be about to enjoy yet another project recently approved by the city.

Miller Branch Greenway will become part of Singing River Trail and stretch about 1.8 miles.

Miller Branch Greenway

greenway
The City of Huntsville approved the construction of Miller Branch Greenway in west Huntsville. (City of Huntsville)

The Miller Branch Greenway will stretch from the Huntsville International Airport, 1.8 miles southwest from Wall Triana Highway to Swancott Road, following Beadle Lane for part of the path.

Here’s what else to know:

  • Cost for the project will be shared by the City and the Metropolitan Planning Organization as part of Transportation Alternative Program funding. 
  • The City of Huntsville will spend $192,500 to cover its 20 percent obligation while MPO will cover the remaining 80 percent. The total cost of the project is $962,500.
  • The greenway will be paved and some property will be donated by the Huntsville-Madison County Airport Authority while other parts of the trail will be in existing roadway right-of-way. 
  • The trailhead will be off Wall Triana Highway.

A second phase of the project will be constructed at a later date.

greenway
Miller Branch Greenway will add 1.8 miles to Singing River Trail. (City of Huntsville)

The Singing River Trail is a planned system extending more than 200 miles across north Alabama intended to strengthen regional bonds and create new health and wellness, educational, economic, tourism and entrepreneurial opportunities.

“It’s another piece of the expanding greenway network, and it’s particularly exciting to see it branching out west. It’s an important step toward better connection to an underappreciated local resource, the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge, and it’s also doing double-duty not just as a Huntsville City Greenway, but also as a segment within the larger Signing River Trail network.”

Dennis Madsen, Huntsville manager of Urban & Long-Range Planning

Stay in the know, Huntsville! Follow Hville Blast on FacebookTikTok and Instagram, and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter

Michael Seale
Michael Seale
Articles: 1108