The North Alabama Zoological Society recently received a sizable donation to go toward scholarships for the organization’s camps for kids, and for research materials for the camps.
The donation of $17,000 came from Collins Aerospace and is one of largest donations to NALZS to date.
What to know about NALZS camps
Although the NALZS zoo project has received the bulk of attention surrounding the organization, the camps the group provides (which take place on the property where the proposed zoo may be located) offer kids a unique opportunity to learn about nature, science, animals and more.
“This donation will not be used for our capital campaign. While our zoo project is of high public interest, we have very successful outreach programs that take the form of camps, school clubs and more.NALZS spokesperson Ethan Fitzgerald
While the summer is starting to draw to a close and this week represents the last week for the campers, the NALZS plans to offer the camps next summer as well.
Camps this summer have included:
- Ages 3-5 + favorite adult
- Session 1: 9AM – 12PM
- Session 2: 1PM – 4PM
- Session 1: 8-11 y/o campers; Tues., May 31 Fri., June 3, 2022
- Session 2: 8-11 y/o campers; Tues., June 14 – Fri., June 17, 2022
- Session 3: 6-7y/o campers; Mon., June 27, 2022-Wed., June 29, 2022
- BioBLitz Camp: 12-14y/o students with an interest in biological sciences; Wed., July 13 – Fri., Jul 15, 2022
More ways to get involved
In addition to summer camps, the NALZS offers several way to get involved with nature, including:
- Conservation efforts: NALZS is looking for conservation groups to support with funding, volunteers, and resources.
- Educational opportunities: The organization has created ALSDE based curriculum that can be used for face-to-face or virtual instruction.
- Research initiatives: From sustainable farming to endangered species restoration, the NALZS has multiple research facets.
Follow Hville Blast on Facebook, TikTok and Instagram, and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss announcements on what’s happening in and around Huntsville.
You must be logged in to post a comment.