June is Pride Month in the US, a month dedicated to advocacy for rights and the celebration of the LGBTQ+ community, and there are several ways to celebrate here in the Huntsville area.
Whether you’re a member of the LGBTQ+ community or just a supporter, we have a guide for Pride Month celebrations and events here in the Rocket City:
Pride Month events
Thanks to Rocket City Pride, we have a pretty extensive list of LGBTQ+ events and celebrations happening throughout the month here in the Huntsville area:
- June 3 – Rocket City Pride / Vincent Rutherford Equality Pride Parade – 10AM – 12PM – 127 Washington St NE
- June 3 – Inclusive Prom Night at Campus 805 Cafeteria – Teen Prom: 4PM – Adult Prom: 8PM – 2620 Clinton Ave W
- June 6 – Pride Skate Night at Roller Time – 7PM – 707 Arcadia Cir NW
- June 7 – Pride Night at MELT – 6PM – 9PM – Huntsville, 201 Jefferson St N Suite I
- June 8 – Pride Night at Main Event – 5PM – 8PM – 6884 Governors Dr.
- June 9 – QueerSpace: Presented by DJ Lisha and Rocket City Pride at Orion Amphitheater – 7PM – 11PM – 701 Amphitheater Dr. NW
- June 10 – Pride Field Day hosted by Rocket City Pride & Nexus at Stoner Field – 11AM – Stoner Field, 3715 Bragg St NW
- June 10 – Pride Brunch at The Camp – 12PM – 5909 University Dr. NW
- June 15 – The Royal Cupcake featuring the RCP Royal Court – Regale Cupcakery 7PM – 4925 University Drive
- June 17 – Alabama Trans Pride 2023 – Butler Green – 4PM – 2610 Clinton Avenue West
- June 24 – Pride Prom 2023 – Carnegie Visual Art Center, Decatur- 6PM-9PM – 207 Church St. NE, Decatur
About Pride Month
According to the Library of Congress, Pride Month is observed in June to commemorate the 1969 Stonewall Uprising in Manhattan — a tipping point for the Gay Liberation Movement in the United States.
The first Gay Pride parade in New York City occurred on the anniversary of the Stonewall riots, and since then, June has been the month celebrating the LGBTQ+ rights movement.