After 35 years of service to the U.S. Army, Lt. Gen. Donnie Walker — Army Materiel Command deputy to the commanding general and Redstone Arsenal senior commander — will retire.
The Arsenal made the announcement Tuesday, and has scheduled a retirement ceremony for Thursday. Here’s what to know:
More than 3 decades of service
Lt. Gen. Flem “Donnie” Walker Jr., is a native of Lineville, Ala. Walker assumed duties as the deputy commanding general of the Army Materiel Command at Redstone Arsenal on July 2, 2020. In his role, he has been responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the Army’s logistics enterprise.
He has also served as the senior commander of Redstone Arsenal where he is responsible for driving the strategic vision of the installation, from growth and development, to providing quality of life programs for soldiers, the workforce and their families.
He was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Quartermaster Corps upon his graduation from Auburn University in 1987, and served as Commander of the 1st Theater Sustainment Command with duties as Deputy Commanding General-Sustainment, U. S. Army Central.
Walker deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom II, Operation New Dawn, Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Resolute Support.
His awards and decorations include:
- Army Distinguished Service Medal
- Legion of Merit with four Oak Leaf Clusters
- Bronze Star Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
- Meritorious Service Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
- Army Commendation Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
- Army Achievement Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters
- Senior Parachutist, Air Assault, Parachute Rigger and Joint Staff Identification Badges.
The retirement ceremony for Walker will be hosted by Gen. Ed Daly, AMC commanding general at the Army Materiel Command headquarters Thursday, Sept. 1 at 4PM.
Follow Hville Blast on Facebook, TikTok and Instagram, and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss announcements on what’s happening in and around Huntsville.
You must be logged in to post a comment.