The 2022 baseball season has officially begun, as Major League Baseball opened the season Thursday, and Minor League Baseball follows suit Friday. The Rocket City Trash Pandas begin their 2022 season on the road in Birmingham, but will play their home opener Tuesday, April 12 at Toyota Field.
The 2022 Trash Pandas have plenty of new faces on the roster, including new manager Andy Schatzley, who takes the reins after managing High-A Tri-City in 2021.
Trash Pandas 2022 squad features six of the Angels’ Top 30 prospects
The Trash Pandas begin their second season as the Double-A affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Of the 30 players on the 2022 Trash Pandas roster, some players are returning from the 2021 team, including:
- Outfielder Torii Hunter Jr.
- Catcher Anthony Mulrine
- Pitcher Cristopher Molina
- Infielder Livan Soto
- Pitcher Kolton Ingram
- Pitcher Zach Linginfelter
The 2022 Trash Pandas squad features six of the Angels’ Top 30 prospects (according to MLB.com):
- Left-handed pitcher Ky Bush (Angels’ No. 5)
- Infielder Jeremiah Jackson (No. 8)
- Right-handed pitcher Chase Silseth (No. 18)
- Right-handed pitcher Coleman Crow (No. 22)
- Right-handed pitcher Mason Erla (No. 25)
- Right-handed pitcher Luke Murphy (No. 29)
The complete roster looks like this:
- Right-Handed Pitchers: Ivan Armstrong, Coleman Crow, Mason Erla, Brett Kerry, Luis Ledo, Zach Linginfelter, Sean McLaughlin, Cristopher Molina, Luke Murphy, Chase Silseth
- Left-Handed Pitchers: Ky Bush, Jack Dashwood, Connor Higgins, Kolton Ingram, Brent Killam, Eric Torres
- Catchers: Gustavo Campero, Zach Humphreys, Anthony Mulrine
- Infielders: Jose Gomez, Jeremiah Jackson, Kevin Maitan, Braxton Martinez, Preston Palmeiro, Livan Soto
- Outfielders: Ryan Aguilar, Trey Cabbage, Torii Hunter Jr., Bryce Teodosio, Aaron Whitefield
Six players will make their professional debuts with the Trash Pandas
Six of the Angels’ 2021 draft picks will start their first full professional season with the Trash Pandas:
- Ky Bush, the Angels’ second-round selection
- Luke Murphy, a fourth-round selection
- Brett Kerry, a fifth-round pick
- Chase SIlseth, the Angels’ 11th round selection
- Eric Torres, a 14th round pick
- Mason Erla, a 17th round selection
Not only will Huntsville area baseball fans have new players to cheer for this season, but there are several new aspects of the Rocket City Trash Pandas season to look forward to, as Hville Blast alluded to in a previous post. In addition to some new features on the field and some new fan experience options, the team announced some new menu items at Toyota Field this season.
The Trash Pandas home opener is Tuesday, April 12 against the Pensacola Blue Wahoos. Purchase single-game tickets here.
Follow Hville Blast on Facebook and Instagram, and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss announcements on what’s happening in and around Huntsville.
You must be logged in to post a comment.