There are few exercises more rewarding and enjoyable than running, and if you are getting really into the sport, you likely want to register for a 5K or 10K race to see how you stack up against others. Well, you’re in luck if you are looking for races this summer in Huntsville.
You can find these running events all over the state, but the Huntsville area alone has plenty of them scheduled over the next couple of months. Here are a few to look into:
Running events in Huntsville this summer
We tried to narrow down the races to within 20 miles of Huntsville, because there really are a bunch of these running events in North Alabama scheduled for this summer. Click the links on the event names to register and get more info::
- July 4: Firecracker 5K, Morningside Baptist Church in Huntsville, 8AM. Registration is from July 1 until 7AM July 4.
- July 4: Freedom 5K + Independence Mile, Big Spring Park, Huntsville, 7AM. Both of these runs take you through the beautiful streets of Downtown Huntsville as well as Old Town.
- July 15: Twilight 5K, Spragins Hall, UAH campus, 6:30PM. Register now for this 5K and 1-mile fun run benefitting the UAH Track Team.
- July 29: Skunk Ape Trail Run, Monte Sano State Park, 7AM. There’s a 5-mile and a 10-mile race through the scenic trails of Monte Sano Mountain.
- August 19: Chupacabra Trail Run, Monte Sano Park, 7AM. This event includes a 10K trail run and half marathon.
- August 26: Swinging Bridge Trail Run, Tims Ford State Park (Winchester, Tenn.), 8AM. This is another awesome trail run that includes a 10K race and a half marathon.
- August 26: Running of the Bulls, Hampton Cove Greenway, 8AM. The event includes a 5K run and a 1-mile fun run. Proceeds from the race go to the Hampton Cove Middle School PTA.
- Sept. 2: Singing River 5K + 10K, Singing River House in Mooresville, 7AM. The 10k and 5k certified courses are shaded and are on packed dirt roads through the Mooresville area
Running groups to join
If you are looking for a group of local folks to run with outside of sanctioned races, be sure to visit the Huntsville Track Club, Fleet Feet Huntsville and/or We Run Huntsville or We Run Downtown Huntsville on Facebook.
The running community here in the Rocket City is growing, and is always welcoming of new members.