The University of Alabama in Huntville’s men’s track and field team won the Gulf South Conference championship over the weekend in Clinton, Miss.
The 2022 championship is the fifth conference title for the Chargers. Read more below!
A true team effort for UAH
Overall, UAH notched 10 First Team All-GSC honors and six Second Team All-GSC performances at the 2022 GSC Outdoor Championships.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Zach Hancock wrapped up his incredible collegiate career with a first-place toss of 55.40 meters in the discus, as he led a total of four Chargers in the top five of the event.
- Hancock was named the 2022 GSC Outdoor Championships Most Outstanding Field Performer as well as the Most Outstanding Overall Performer after finishing atop the field in the shot put, weight throw and discus.
- Alex Herbst was named the 2022 GSC Outdoor Championships Scholar-Athlete, which awards the student-athlete competing at its GSC championship with the highest overall GPA.
- Two more Chargers registered First Team All-GSC performances in the field, with Miguel Cortes winning the javelin at 60.14 meters and Garrison Hill finishing atop the pole vault standings at 5.01 meters.
- The Chargers had a pair of GSC individual champions in four sprinting events, including Wilson McClain in 110-meter hurdles at 14.46 along with Michael Gizzi in the 100-meter dash at 10.58 and the 200-meter sprint at 21.43.
- UAH’s 100-meter relay team of McClain, Gizzi, Dantavious Thomas and Cameron Clark finished first with a time of 40.82.
Continuing a winning tradition
As stated above, the UAH men’s track and field team’s win in the 2022 Gulf South Conference Championships on Saturday on the campus of Mississippi College was the program’s fifth outdoor conference title.
The Chargers previously won the GSC outdoor championships in 2017, 2018 and 2021 as well as a Peach Belt Conference title in 2013.