The little town of Gurley (yes, it’s pronounced like “girly”) about 20 minutes east of Huntsville isn’t home to very many restaurants. But, the few restaurants there are cherished.
One of those cherished restaurants is Mr. PoBoy, which opened in April of 2021. Serving up Louisiana staples such as gumbo, jambalaya and, of course, poboys of all kinds, Mr. PoBoy was a hit.
But, a year after their opening, Mr. PoBoy closed its doors due to complications with the location on Highway 72 East in Gurley. Then, they started to search for a new location—which turns out to be the same location as before.
But, things have changed.
The updated space
On September 26, Mr. PoBoy announced that the restaurant would be returning to its former location instead of relocating. They took care of the problems and decided to start fresh.
The first thing visitors will notice about the new and improved Mr. PoBoy is the updated interior.
First of all, there’s now a proper bar inside. Then, there’s a upscale yet cozy feel in the dining space. The string lights and eclectic artwork are reminiscent of New Orleans, and the smell from the kitchen makes it even more so.
Here’s what’s on the menu now.
The new menu
Mr. PoBoy’s space isn’t the only thing that’s updated. Their menu is also bursting with new flavors. In the coming weeks, they’ll be further expanding and changing up their menu. But for now, here’s some examples of the latest menu offerings.
- Lamb PoBoy—with smoked green olive yogurt sauce, red onion and tomato
- Shrimp & Grits—with garlicky spinach and their signature “Bloody Mary” hollandaise
- Old School Roasted Beef PoBoy—with lettuce, tomato, pickles and mayo
- Chicken Sausage Gumbo
- Spiced Shrimp PoBoy—with house sweet tea mayo, lettuce, pickle and red onion
- Mr. PoBoy Shrimp Remoulade Salad—chilled shrimp with cappacola ham, romaine, red onion and a smoked tea-tomato dressing
And that’s just some of what’s on the new menu!
Where you can find them
Ready for some New Orleans cuisine in the cozy town of Gurley? Here’s where you can find them.
- Location: 6124 Hwy 72 E, Gurley, AL 35748
- Hours: Check social media for updated hours!
- Website | Facebook | Instagram
BONUS: Looking for more Cajun eats in Huntsville? Here ya go.
Have you ever tried Mr. PoBoy? Let us know by tagging us on social media @hvilleblast or by using our hashtag #hvilleblast.