The first weekend of August is almost upon us and we have found a bevy of cool stuff to do this weekend in Huntsville and the surrounding area. The weekend includes multiple festivals, live music, musical theater and more.
Basically, if you can’t find anything to do in the Rocket City this weekend, it’s because you just don’t want to. Here are a few suggestions:
Live music in Huntsville
The whole weekend in Huntsville includes a wide array of live music, from hip-hop to rock and roll to reggae. Try to make it to see at least one of these events:
- Matt Prater Band: Aug. 4, Stovehouse, 7PM. This free show is sure to be awesome, as Matt and his band always put on a fabulous show.
- Dave Anderson: Aug. 4, Humphrey’s Bar & Grill, 9PM. The uber-talented Dave Anderson will dazzle you with his live performance. It’s always a fun time.
- Emily Joseph Band: Aug. 4, Reflections Lounge, 10PM. Enjoy some of your favorite hits from the 70s and 80s performed live by the talented Emily Joseph and her band.
- Shaheed and DJ Supreme/People Years: Aug. 5, Jeff & Blues, 7PM. Catch some of Birmingham’s best musicians – including critically acclaimed hip-hop artists Shaheed & DJ Supreme – as they take the stage in the Rocket City.
- MD & Cobalt Blue Reggae Band: Aug. 6, Rocket Republic, 3PM. Celebrate Jamaican Independence Day at Rocket Republic with an awesome reggae show featuring MD & Cobalt Blue.
Festivals, theater, shows this weekend in Huntsville
Do you want to check out a nationally-acclaimed musical theater performance? How about some amazing artwork at the Botanical Garden? Or perhaps you may want to attend a BBQ festival. Well, you can do all of that and more this weekend.
- Ain’t Too Proud: Aug. 4-6, Mark C. Smith Concert Hall, Fri. 8PM, Sat., 2PM, 8PM, Sun. 1PM, 6PM. Catch the electrifying new musical that follows The Temptations’ extraordinary journey from the streets of Detroit to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
- Origami in the Garden: Through Aug. 27, Huntsville Botanical Garden, 9AM-6PM. This wonderful exhibit is created by Santa Fe artists Jennifer and Kevin Box in collaboration with world-renowned origami artists.
- Smoke In The Outfield BBQ Fest: Aug. 4-5, Toyota Field, Fri. 5-10PM, Sat, 10AM-4PM. Smoke In The Outfield wall take over the home of the Rocket City Trash Pandas, giving fans live entertainment, one-of-a-kind barbecue and more.
- Valley Fest: Aug. 5, The Camp at MidCity, 11AM-10PM. Make plans to hangout at The Camp for The Valley Arts Festival, featuring food trucks, live music, arts and crafts and more.
- Record Store Pop Up Shop: Aug. 6, Straight to Ale, 12PM. Vinlyl lovers cannot miss this!This event features awesome shops coming out with collections to browse. You can also bring your own collection to swap with other guests.
Sports and Fitness in the Rocket City
Whether you want to watch some pro soccer, catch a local basketball tournament or participate in some sports yourself, you can do it this weekend in Huntsville.
- Huntsville Sprint Triathlon: Aug. 5, Huntsville Aquatics Center, 7AM. This is an intense competition at the 43rd Annual Huntsville Sprint Triathlon. The Huntsville Sprint Triathlon is a family-friendly event and is great for beginners as well as seasoned triathletes.
- Brooke Hill Run for Awareness: Aug. 5, Carnegie Visual Art Center (Decatur), 7AM. The races will be run in Old Decatur, starting near the Carnegie Visual Arts Center and ending at the entrance to the Old State Bank. The 5K and 1 mile courses are both certified.
- Pure Barre Huntsville + Light On Yoga Collaboration Event: Aug. 5, Pure Barre Huntsville, 10:30AM. Join Pure Barre Huntsville and Light On Yoga for a special 1 hour class at Pure Barre Huntsville. The class will be 30 minutes of each format – so come ready to work, sweat, stretch and relax.
- Rocket City ProAm Basketball Classic: Aug. 5-6, James Clemens High School, 11AM. The Rocket City Pro Am is a melting pot of skill, athleticism, and pure passion for the game, and basketball fans should love this tournament!
- Huntsville City FC: Aug. 6, Joe Davis Stadium, 6PM. Cheer on your Huntsville City FC as they take on FC Cincinnati 2 at Joe Davis Stadium.