Okay Huntsvillians, it’s time again to make your weekend plans, and there’s no shortage of stuff to do in and around the Rocket City over the next few days.
From the famous comedy music of Weird Al Yankovic at the Von Braun Center to some quality baseball from your own Rocket City Trash Pandas, there’s a bevy of fun things to do around town. Check it out:
In addition to Weird Al Yankovic, there are more live music shows happening in the area, covering a wide variety of musical genres. Here are a few shows happening this weekend:
- Weird Al Yankovic: Aug. 19, Mark. C. Smith Concert Hall, 8PM. The legendary comedy musician Weird Al Yankovic makes a stop in Huntsville for his “Unfortunate Return of the Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour.”
- Jimmy Henderson Trio: Aug. 20, Mad Malts Brewing, 7PM. Enjoy the blues/rock music of the ultra-talented Jimmy Henderson Trio.
- Rob & the Redbeards: Aug. 20, Stovehouse, 7PM. Check out this talented 4- piece that covers all genres of music from their own original songs to traditional bluegrass, rock-a-billy, country, classic rock, alternative rock and blues.
- “Out Loud” Huntsville Open Mic: Aug. 21, Straight to Ale Brewery, 6PM. Test your musical skills out on a live audience at this open mic night.
- Big Band Bash 2022: Aug. 21, Princess Theater in Decatur, 2PM. Swing and sway with the big band sound of The Sophisticated Swingers and Rocket City Jazz Orchestra.
Sports & Fitness
Take a nature hike, run in a half marathon or take some scuba classes this weekend in Huntsville, or take in a Rocket City Trash Pandas game. Here are a few sports and fitness events happening in the area:
- Trash Pandas vs. Chattanooga Lookouts: Aug. 19-21, Toyota Field, Fri. – Sat. 6:30PM, Sunday 2:30PM. The Trash Pandas are home in Madison, hosting the Chattanooga Lookouts, featuring post game fireworks Friday and Saturday, and a t-shirt giveaway Sunday.
- Chupacabra Trail Run 10k & Half Marathon: Aug. 20, Monte Sano Park, 7AM. This is the last of four summer races as part of the Wild Thangs Trail Series.
- Beginner Scuba Class: Aug. 20, Southeastern Divers, 4PM. Get started learning to explore the underwater world and learn everything you need to know to have fun underwater safely.
- BollyX: Aug. 21, Southeast Family YMCA, 3PM. Enjoy this awesome fitness class for YMCA members and non-members alike!
- Easy walk on Indian Creek Trail: Aug. 21, Indian Creek Trail, 5PM. Get some exercise while taking in nature with this easy 2-mile walk.
Markets, family fun, festivals
Whether you want to see some local art, camp out at the Huntsville Botanical Garden or enjoy some local craft beer, we have you covered with these fun events:
- Family Campout at the Garden: Aug. 19, Huntsville Botanical Garden, 5PM. Get your tents and sleeping bags ready for a campout at Huntsville Botanical Garden, complete with a hot dog dinner, s’mores to roast over the fire, a story at bedtime and and a chance to experience the Garden on a guided night hike.
- Craft Beer Trail Fest: Aug. 20, Downtown Huntsville, 12PM – 5PM. Try new beers by Fractal Brewing Project, Green Bus, Innerspace, Mad Malts, Rocket Republic, Salty Nut, Straight to Ale, The Brewers Cooperative and Yellowhammer!
- Fractal Art Market on the Patio: Aug. 20, Fractal Brewing, 5PM. Fractal Brewing Project is providing space for local artists to showcase their work on the patio from 5PM to 9PM.
- Sip & Paint: Aug. 20, Rocket City Event Center, 6PM. Wine lovers and artists come on out! Sip wine while you paint a picture that empowers you!
- Huntsville Hamfest: Aug. 20-21, Von Braun Center, 9AM. The Huntsville Amateur Radio Club and Hamfest bring you the amateur radio festival you don’t want to miss. The event includes vendors, speakers, a flea market and more!
So what are you getting into this weekend? Let us know on Facebook, TikTok and Instagram, and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.
You must be logged in to post a comment.