Memorial Day weekend is creeping up, and while many folks may have plans to head to the beach or the lake for the long weekend, there is plenty to do right here in and around Huntsville.
The weekend’s events include three shows by jam band Widespread Panic and a pretty cool blues festival as well. Whether you’re looking for sporting events, farmers markets or live music, the Rocket City has you covered this weekend. Chekc it out!
With the Orion AMphitheater open and running, this section of my weekly events roundup will usually have a big show at Huntsville’s newest music venue, and this weekend is no exception. Here is just a sampling of the live music events in Huntsville this weekend:
- Widespread Panic: May 27-29, Orion Amphitheater, 7PM. Catch one two or all three of the shows from this legendary jam band.
- Concerts on the Dock featuring Chelsea Who?: May 27, 6PM, Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment. Don’t miss local singer/songwriter Chelsea Who? At Lowe Mill.
- Old School Blues Festival: May 28, Huntsville Dragway, 1PM – 11PM. Enjoy blues and R&B music all day at the Huntsville Dragway, featuring Morris Day, SWV and more.
- Legends on the Lake: May 29, Guntersville, 3PM. Check out this live music festival at Guntersville Lake.
- Them Dirty Roses: May 29, Sidetracks Music Hall, 7PM. Check out Them Dirty Roses with Tanner Usrey Sunday night.
Sports & fitness
Whether you want to watch some sports or get active yourself, here are some options this weekend in Huntsville:
- Rocket City Trash Pandas vs. Tennessee Smokes: May 27-29, Toyota Field. Enjoy baseball, family fun and fireworks when the Trash Pandas close out their homestand.
- RunningLane Track Championships: May 27, 9AM, John Hunt Park. Athletes compete in the 800m, mile and 3200m races, and more.
- Fitness in the Park: May 28, 9AM, Big Spring Park. Enjoy a Zumba class for FREE at Big Spring Park.
- North Alabama SC vs Nashville Rhythm: May 29, John Hunt Park, 5PM. Check out the Women’s Profession Soccer League action and cheer on the North Alabama SC.
- Bill Penney Toyota Cotton Row Run: May 30, Downtown Huntsville, 7AM. This event includes a 10k, 5k and 1 mile run.
Festivals, markets, arts
Looking for a good farmers market? How about a hot air balloon festival? Well, we have you covered:
- Alabama Jubilee Hot Air Balloon Classic: May 28-29, Point Mallard, Decatur. You will love this hot-air balloon, arts and crafts, motorcycle, tractor and fireworks show in Decatur. And admission is free!
- Village of Providence Artisans & Farmers Market: May 28, 8AM – 2PM, Village of Providence.This market offers a seasonal selection of fresh produce and artisan handmade products.
- Wook Market: May 28, 11AM, Oasis Jerk Center. Check out vendors, live music and more at this hippie market in Huntsville.
- Huntsville Plant Class: May 28, 1PM, Bankhead Parkway in Huntsville. Learn about native trees, shrubs, wildflowers, lichens, moss and fungi. Learn various ecological, culinary, and medicinal properties of natural resources in Southern Appalachia.
- Betsy & Peter Lowe Community Free Day: May 29, Huntsville Museum of Art. Free admission to the museum for everyone between 12PM and 5PM.