As we published earlier this week, it’s time for Panoply — perhaps the biggest arts event in the state — which is taking place all weekend at Big Spring Park. But there’s also plenty of stuff happening in and around the Rocket City aside from Panoply.
Here are just some of the fun things to do this weekend in Huntsville:
You just can’t mention cool and fun things to do this weekend without first talking about live music. In addition to more than 30 live acts at Panoply this weekend, there are also some fantastic live music shows in and around Huntsville, including a legendary show at the Orion featuring Robert Plant & Alison Krauss.
Here are just a few great live shows this weekend:
- 5X5: April 28, Stovehouse, 7PM. Catch this 4-piece rock band from Huntsville covers songs from bands like Nirvana, Maroon 5, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots and more.
- Carly Moffa: April 29, Old Black Bear Brewing, 6PM. Come out and see Madison native Carly Moffa, a singer/songwriter who is on the cusp of making a huge splash on the national scene.
- Brahms German Requiem: April 29, Mark C. Smith Concert Hall, 7:30PM. The Huntsville Symphony Orchestra plays the classic German Requiem.
- Drivin’ n Cryin’: April 28, Furniture Factory (Downtown), 6:30PM. These rockers from Athens have been going strong for 40+ years. Don’t miss this show!
- Robert Plant & Alison Krauss: April 30, Orion Amphitheater, 7PM. Music legends Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin and bluegrass queen Alison Krauss team up for this amazing show at the Orion.
Festivals, Markets, Shows
While thousands will flock to the Panoply Arts Festival at Big Spring Park throughout the weekend, be sure to save some time and energy for some other cool stuff around town:
- Panoply Arts Festival: April 28-30, Big Spring Park, Fri.-Sun. More than 30 musicians and more than 100 artists will be featured in one of the state’s biggest arts festivals.
- Denim & Diamonds: April 29, Jackson Center, 5:30PM. This is Kids 2 Love’s annual celebration, an evening of music, food and more that supports the girls who live at Davidson Farms and the Whitaker Cottage Community.
- Henry Cho: April 29, Stand-Up Live, 6:30PM. Did we mention fun things to do this weekend? The hilarious Henry Cho brings his stand up comedy act to Huntsville.
- Market at MidCity: April 30, MidCity, 12PM to 4PM. Browse the wares of dozens of local vendors, hear some live music at The Camp, visit some food trucks and more at The Market.
Sports + Fitness
Although the Huntsville Havoc’s season ended last weekend, we still have a bevy of sporting events going on in and around Huntsville. This weekend, there’s a full slate of sports and fitness events to enjoy:
- CCSA + SBC Beach Volleyball Championships: April 27-29, John Hunt Park, 9AM. The Coastal Collegiate Sports Association) and Sun Belt Conference Beach Volleyball Championships will occur simultaneously at the John Hunt Park Sand Volleyball Complex!
- UAH Baseball vs. AUM: April 28-29, Charger Park, Fri. 5PM, Sat. 1PM, 3:30PM. UAH is home for three games against Auburn-Montgomery.
- UAH Softball vs AUM: April 28-29, Charger Park, 5PM, Sat. 12PM, 3:30PM. Not only is the UAH baseball team in town, but the Chargers softball team is hosting three games against AUM as well.
- Hike at Monte Sano Nature Preserve: April 30, Monte Sano Nature Preserve Bluff Line Trail, 2PM. This hike will start at Bankhead Trailhead and is simply an “out and back” on Bluff Line Trail.
- HomeTown Lenders Championship: April 26-30, The Ledges, 6:25AM tee-off. Catch this professional golf tournament on the Korn Ferry Tour at the beautiful Ledges Country Club.