The new Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering building in Huntsville is turning heads, and industry experts are noticing. Recently, the new building was named Project of the Year by the Associated Builders and Contractors North Alabama Division.
Contractor Brasfield & Gorrie was honored for the project, which was completed last summer. The ASCTE began classes in September in the new building.
2022 Project of the Year
Brasfield & Gorrie announced Tuesday that the ABC of North Alabama has honored them with the Project of the Year for the new Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering building.
The project was also recognized with a Commitment to Safety award and a first-place Excellence in Construction award.
“We share these awards with our partners and trade contractors, whose collaboration and teamwork were imperative to the success of the project. It’s an honor to be recognized by ABC, especially for a project that serves not only our local community but students from across the state of Alabama.”Brasfield & Gorrie Vice President and Division Manager Sara Beth Wilcox
The Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering building
The new building, which opened in August, features a bevy of fantastic amenities and its innovative design seems apropos to what the student body is learning at the school.
Here are some details on the award-winning project:
- The public, residential magnet school includes a 76,500 square foot academic building with space for 400 students, and a 51,400 square foot, 150-bed residence hall.
- The academic building is four stories clad in glass and terracotta over a steel structure.
- The facility includes science labs, machine shops, a fabrication and engineering lab, and a cyber range.
- The similarly designed residence hall consists of three floors of dormitory rooms on top of a podium housing support space, which includes a basement-level cafeteria and fitness facilities that double as a storm shelter.
- The residence hall also includes three multi-bedroom apartments, equipped with kitchens and laundry, so full-time faculty and their families can live among the students as residence assistants.