We are already in mid-January, and entering a long weekend for many folks who are off for MLK Day. So why not get out and about in town and catch some of the events in the Huntsville area over the next few days?
From War Dawgs basketball and Havoc hockey to live music and a boat show, there’s plenty to do in the Rocket City this weekend. Check it out:
Sports + Fitness
Sports fans have plenty of options this weekend, with two Havoc games and some quality basketball to watch. Here are just a few events in the Huntsville area to catch:
- Huntsville Havoc hockey: Jan. 13 & 14, Propst Arena, 7PM. The Havoc play Friday night and Saturday night at home, but get your tickets early because the games have been selling out lately!
- Bob O’Gorman Freedom Memorial Hockey Tournament: Jan. 13-16. Huntsville Ice Complex, 10AM. Check out some quality youth hockey here in Huntsville over a 3-day tournament.
- North Alabama War Dawgs vs. Tampa Fury: Jan. 14, James Clemens High School, 7:15PM. The North Alabama War Dawgs pro basketball team is back at home this weekend!
- XTERRA Alabama Monte Sano Trail Run: Jan. 14, Monte Sano State Park, 8AM. Get on your trail running shows and enter the 5K or 9K trail run at beautiful Monte Sano State Park!
- Simply Saturday Yoga w/Mi-Thai-Mmm: Jan. 14, Dr. Robert Shurney Legacy Center, 12PM. Yoga enthusiasts of all levels can participate in this free class!
There’s always some great live music events in the Huntsville area, and this weekend is no exception. Take a look at the live music slate in the area this weekend:
- Camp Crystal Lake Jazz Show with Sonosphere: Jan. 13, Rocket Republic Downtown, 7PM. Spend your Friday the 13th with this amazing Blackout Jazz Session with the exceptional Sonosphere Jazz Combo inside at Rocket Republic!
- SURFWAX: Jan. 13, Maggie Meyers Irish Pub, 9PM. Don’t miss this driving rock and roll from indie band SURFWAX live at Maggie Meyers!
- Matt Prater: Jan. 14, Stovehouse, 6PM. Matt puts on a great performance every time he hits the stage. Check him out this weekend at Stovehouse.
- Joe Cagle Duo: Jan. 14, Humphreys Bar & Grill, 9PM. Don’t miss the tunes of the Joe Cagle Duo at one of Huntsville’s best live music venues.
- Big Daddy Kingfish: Jan. 15, Shagnasty’s Grubbery & Pour House, 6PM. Shagnasty’s welcomes Big Daddy Kingfish back to the stage for Sunday Rocks!
Family Events, Markets, Shows
There are some other cool events in the Huntsville area this weekend, including a boat show, a crystal healing class and more. Of course, there are some fantastic MLK Day celebrations throughout the area, which we covered earlier this week! Check these other events out as well
- Huntsville Boat Show: Jan. 12-15. Von Braun Center, 10AM – 8PM. Shop, compare, and save on your family’s new dream boat. Shop from local dealers with hundreds of boats on display.
- Crystal Healing 101 Class: Jan. 14, Dream Maker, 1PM. The Dream Maker presents Crystal Healing 101. CJ and Monet will lead a 2 hour class covering all the basics and some intermediate information regarding crystals.
- The Pale City Book Release & Author Signing: Jan. 14, Dragon’s Forge at Lowe Mill, 2PM. Come celebrate the release of author Marshall J. Moore’s debut novel, The Pale City, at Dragon’s Forge Cafe in Lowe Mill!
- Festival of the Cranes: Jan. 13-15, Downtown Decatur, 8AM.This free, family-friendly festival celebrates North Alabama’s cranes and provides opportunities for people to visit the refuge to see the cranes in their natural environment.
- Kevin Fredericks: Jan. 15, Stand Up Live, 8PM. Catch the hilarious stand-up comedy of Kevin Fredricks, the host of Will Smith’s “Dad’s Just Don’t Understand.”
What are you going to do this weekend? Let us know on Facebook, TikTok and Instagram, and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss announcements on what’s happening in and around Huntsville.