At the end of this week, schools in the Huntsville area will get out for the winter holidays, and many adults will have taken at least some time off over the next several weeks.
So, with that in mind, what will everyone do with that time? Why not take in a few sporting events in Huntsville over the next month or so? Here’s a rundown of what you can see:Read more: Catch these sporting events in Huntsville over the holidays
Huntsville Havoc hockey games
Winter is synonymous with hockey, and Huntsville has themselves one heck of a pro hockey team in the Huntsville Havoc. The Havoc are 9-7 on the season right now in Southern Professional Hockey League play, and have several home games over the next few weeks:
- Sat., Dec. 17 vs. Pensacola – 7PM (get tickets)
- Fri. Dec. 23 vs. Evansville – 7PM (get tickets)
- Wed. Dec. 28 vs Knoxville – 7PM (get tickets)
- Fri. Dec. 30 vs Vermilion – 7PM (get tickets)
UAH Men’s + Women’s Basketball
Basketball games also dominate the sporting events in Huntsville over the holidays, with the University of labama in Huntsville hosting multiple home games this month.
Here’s the Chargers’ schedule over the next several weeks:
- Sun. Dec. 18 UAH Men’s Basketball vs. Asbury 2PM (get tickets)
- Sun. Dec. 18 UAH Women’s Basketball vs Columbus State – 4PM (get tickets)
- Sat. Dec. 31 UAH Men’s Basketball vs Christian Brothers 4PM (get tickets)
- Sat. Dec. 31 Women’s Basketball vs Christian Brothers 2PM (get tickets)
- Mon. Jan 2 Men’s Basketball vs. Union 4PM (get tickets)
- Mon. Jan. 2 Women’s Basketball vs Union 2PM (get tickets)
Huntsville City Classic Basketball Tournament
One of the traditions in Huntsville over the holidays is the Huntsville City Classic basketball tournament, among the premier sporting events in Huntsville and in the state.
Now in its 40th year, the 2022 Huntsville City Classic includes the following teams:
- Bob Jones
- Huntsville High School
- Mae Jemison
- Hazel Green
- Madison Academy
- Mountain Brook
First Round games begin Dec. 27, with the finals played Dec. 29.