Huntsville is known for being a tech town, but that doesn’t mean there’s any shortage of sports to try. Here, you’ll find everything from competitive volleyball to pick-up games of ultimate frisbee. Read on to see the full roundup:
1. Ultimate frisbee
Are you an ultimate frisbee fan? You need to check out the Huntsville Ultimate Club. Registration for the spring 2022 league has already closed, but you can join the club for a pickup game every Wednesday night from 5:30PM-7:30PM at Chapman Junior High, 2006 Reuben Dr NE, Huntsville, AL 35811.
News and updates are posted on the club’s Facebook page.
There are several adult tennis leagues to choose from in Huntsville. The U.S. Tennis Association offers a handful of options for singles and doubles, like:
- Huntsville Industrial Tennis League
- Huntsville Women’s Tennis Association
- Southern Combo Doubles
- USTA Leagues for singles and doubles
Play ranges from round robin sessions to tournaments.
Soccer fans have plenty of teams to choose from in Huntsville. Start here:
- Huntsville Adult Soccer League: Facebook | Website
- North Alabama Futsal: Facebook | Instagram
- Wanna Play? Sportsplex: Facebook | Instagram
The City of Huntsville and the City of Madison each have adult basketball leagues.
Registration for the Huntsville leagues are currently on hold due to COVID-19, but here’s where you can find more information about registration reopening:
The YMCA also has basketball leagues, which are currently on hold. Here are the YMCAs near you:
- Downtown Express YMCA: 101 Church St SW, Huntsville, AL 35801
- Hogan Family YMCA: 130 Park Square Ln, Madison, AL 35758
- Southeast Family YMCA: 1000 Weatherly Rd SE, Huntsville, AL 35803
Pickleball has been gaining popularity quickly. It’s like a smaller version of tennis, with similar rules but a smaller court. In Madison, pickleball enthusiasts have several options:
- Madison Pickleball Club: Facebook
- Outdoor Beginner Pickleball Clinic
- Outdoor Pickleball Doubles League
Read about all three on the Madison Parks and Recreation website.
Did you know that Huntsville has a rugby club? The group has been active since the late 1970s and is part of the True South Rugby Union. Both men and women can play.
Through Huntsville’s Go Kickball league, you can sign up to compete as a free agent or as a team. Sign ups for the spring 2022 season are open through March 8.
The City of Madison hosts a co-ed volleyball league for players ages 18 and up. Choose from two different divisions: a recreational division for casual players and a competitive division for more skilled players. There are spring, summer and fall leagues.
Read online for full information about team registration and leagues.
Huntsville does not have volleyball leagues, but co-ed open play is available weekly at the following locations:
- Cavalry Hill Community Center: Fridays 5:30PM-7:30PM
- Mark Russell Community Center: Wednesdays 5PM-7:30PM
- Optimist Recreation Center: Mondays, Wednesdays + Fridays 9:15AM-11AM
Madison and Huntsville each have men’s, women’s and co-ed softball leagues throughout the year. Sign ups for Madison leagues don’t appear to be active right now, but you can sign up for the Huntsville spring league now through March 11.
Huntsville league games are played at the Metro Kiwanis Sportsplex, 3590 Patton Rd SW, Huntsville, AL 35805.
What league are you signing up for? We want to hear about your experiences on social media—tag @hvilleblast and use #hvilleblast.