After two years of virtual runs due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Huntsville Hospital Foundation’s Liz Hurley Ribbon Run is back in person this year and set for Oct. 15.
This year, proceeds from the Liz Hurley Ribbon Run will provide necessary Dense Breast Software upgrades to better pinpoint which patients need additional levels of cancer screening for accurate diagnosis. Read more to find out how you can get involved!
19 years of raising money for cancer research
News anchor Liz Hurley of Huntsville’s WAFF was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1998, and established the Liz Hurley Breast Cancer Fund at HHF in 1999. Thanks to generous supporters of the fund, more than $6.2 million has been raised to support breast cancer awareness programs and to equip Huntsville Hospital and Madison Hospital Breast Centers with the latest diagnostic technology.
Ribbon Run is historically North Alabama’s largest 5K, and boasted a sell-out crowd of 6,500 runners in 2019.
Proceeds from the 2022 Liz Hurley Ribbon Run will provide for the top-priority needs of Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children’s Breast Center, including necessary Dense Breast Software upgrades to better pinpoint which patients need additional levels of cancer screening for accurate diagnosis.
With donor support, the HHF will also launch the brand-new Breast Cancer Patient Experience Project, focused on improving each patient’s comfort and surroundings while in the Breast Center. The goal of these enhancements is to reduce the anxiety and fear that sometimes accompany these procedures.
How to get involved
If you want to participate in the Ribbon Run, you can register on the event’s website. And there are multiple ways to particpate.
Here’s some more info on participation:
- Join as an individual or form a team. Individual registration ends October 11 and team registration ends October 4.
- Help raise funds and awareness through your own personal fundraising page. Every dollar makes an impact.
- Pick up your 2022 Liz Hurley Ribbon Run t-shirt and bib at Huntsville Fleet Feet Sports on October 12, 13 or 14.
- On Saturday, October 15, Survivor Walk begins at 8AM and the 5K begins at 8:30AM. The runner awards ceremony begins at 10AM.
- Can’t make it in person? No problem. Participate virtually. Virtual registration ends October 11.