It’s officially spring in Huntsville, and we’re looking forward to all the warm-weather events that are coming up. From arts festivals to historic tours, there’s no shortage of things to do this April—and lots of the events are free. Read on for 15 of our picks.
1. Plant & Cleanup Supplies Giveaway
The City of Huntsville’s Operation Green Team opens the month with a giveaway for all the local green thumbs. Head over to the Operation Green Team office to receive free cucumber and tomato plants as well as garbage bags, popcorn and water.
2. Rocket City’s Got Talent
Get a taste of the amazing talent in Huntsville and support the Fantasy Playhouse Children’s Theater and Academy at the third annual Rocket City’s Got Talent. In addition to entertainment, there will be a silent auction, heavy hors d’oeuvres and an all-new Kids Experience.
- When: Friday, April 1 | 6-8:30PM
- Where: Lowe Mill Arts & Entertainment, 2211 Seminole Dr SW, Huntsville, AL 35805
PS: Concerts on the Docks are back too—find the lineup online.
3. Spring Farm Day 2022
You can get the full 1800s farm experience at Burritt on the Mountain this April. Activities include:
- Blacksmithing, wool spinning + sheep-shearing demonstrations
- Butter churning
- Live music with traditional instruments
Ready to give it a try? Here are the deets:
- When: Saturday, April 2 | 10AM-4PM
- Where: Burritt on the Mountain, 3101 Burritt Dr SE, Huntsville, AL 35801
4. Free Walking Tour of Huntsville’s Historic Twickenham District
Do you want to know more about Huntsville’s history? This is the perfect opportunity for you. Learn about the history and architecture of some of Huntsville’s oldest homes, and get some exercise along the way.
- When: Saturday, April 2 | 10-11:45AM
- Where: Alabama Constitution Hall Park, 109 Gates Ave SE, Huntsville, AL 35801
5. Pet-Friendly Easter Photo Booth
Get a new photo of yourself—or your pup—and support a great cause while you’re at it. The Huntsville/Madison Alpha Omicron Pi Alumnae Chapter is hosting a photo booth at Bridge Street Town Centre to raise money for A New Leash on Life. Find the booth near the bridge and across from Sephora.
- When: Saturday, April 2 | Noon-2PM
- Where: Bridge Street Town Centre, 365 The Bridge St, Huntsville, AL 35806
6. Spring Fling on Main
Curious about what Madison’s Main Street has to offer? Head to the first ever Shoppes of Madison Spring Fling event for food trucks, an easter egg hunt and more.
7. NALZS Kids Festival
Learn about Alabama’s biodiversity with the whole family atop one of Huntsville’s favorite mountains this April. The North Alabama Zoological Society Kids Festival will feature food trucks, educational exhibits and more. Admission to the festival is free, but parking is $10 per car.
- When: Saturday, April 9 | 10AM-2PM
- Where: Monte Sano State Park, 5105 Nolen Ave SE, Huntsville, AL 35801
8. 60th Anniversary CRP Food Truck Fest
Celebrate the 60th anniversary of Cummings Research Park with a Food Truck Festival this spring. Whether or not you work at Research Park, take the opportunity to try something new during your lunch break on Tuesday, April 12.
9. Rocket City Trash Pandas Home Opener
Baseball is almost back, and we can’t wait for the Trash Pandas home opener and all the improvements that will be rolling out at Toyota Field this spring. See the Trash Pandas take on the Pensacola Blue Wahoos, and finish the night with a firework spectacular.
10. Free Walking Tour of Downtown Madison
Just like Huntsville, Madison is full of interesting history and architecture. Join the free walking tour to learn more about how the city came to be.
11. Huntsville Comic & Pop Culture Expo
The Huntsville Comic & Pop Culture Expo will be “a celebration for all things geek.” Enjoy cosplay contests, gaming rooms, special celebrity guests and more—tickets start at $25 per day or $60 for the whole weekend.
- When: Friday, April 22-Sunday, April 24
- Where: Von Braun Center South Hall, 700 Monroe St SW, Huntsville, AL 35801
12. Breakfast at Tiffany’s @ The Wine Cellar
Head to The Wine Cellar for a twist on your classic Saturday brunch. Graze Charcuterie Co will be providing a grazing table, and The Wine Cellar will offer $5 drink specials and wine cocktails all day long. Brunch is $25.
- When: Saturday, April 23 | Noon-2PM
- Where: The Wine Cellar, 2304 Whitesburg Dr, Huntsville, AL 35801
13. Crawfish Festival
We only need five words to convince us to head to The Camp on April 23: All you can eat crawfish. If that alone isn’t tempting enough, there will also be live music and drink specials at this pet-friendly party.
14. Rock the Vote 2022
2022 is an election year in Alabama, and the Huntsville Committee of 100 wants to make sure you have the best opportunity to choose candidates that align with your values. Head to Stovehouse on April 24 to meet candidates running for office, register to vote and get more info about your district. The free event will also feature live music.
This is the one we’ve all been waiting for. Panoply, Huntsville’s favorite music and arts festival, returns for its 40th anniversary this April. We’re keeping our eye open for the lineup to be announced so we can keep you updated on what to expect.
- When: Friday, April 29-Sunday, May 1 | Time TBD
- Where: Big Spring Park, Church St SW, Huntsville, AL 35801
- More info
What event are you most looking forward to this April? Let us know and don’t forget to tag @hvilleblast on social media.