Spring break is almost here—and there’s plenty of fun to fill up the week if you’re staying in town this time.
Yes, we’re always up for a trip to the Space and Rocket Center or a stroll through Botanical Gardens. But, we’re going for things you might not have thought of here.
So, here’s family-friendly activities that put us in the spring break spirit—staycation style.
1. Farm + nursery hopping
If you’re craving sunshine, green things and blooms as much as we are, here’s an idea: visit local farms and nurseries during spring break and find all that’s happening outdoors in March.
- Pick tulips (and take lots of pictures) at Hubert Family Farms or Moonflower Farms.
- Visit the farm store at Scott’s Orchard (open Friday-Saturday 9AM-5PM) and catch a peek at the beautiful blossoms.
- Brighten up your indoor space or get your spring garden going with help from these five local nurseries.
2. Theme days
Pick a day, any day, and fill it up with one of these themed guides for the Huntsville area.
- Make a day totally groovy with our guide to retro spots in Huntsville.
- Step back in time at these old-fashioned spots in our area.
- Watch us take a Europe-inspired trip through Huntsville, and try it out for yourself!
- Spend an Asian-inspired day in Huntsville, complete with food, drinks and fun.
3. Free activities at Hays Nature Preserve
Hays Nature Preserve is always a great option for outdoor fun, but they’re making it even more appealing for spring break this year. They’re hosting fun activities for kids (who must be accompanied by an adult) of all ages, and here’s the cool part: the activities are completely free.
Meet the Green Team and more experts at the natural playground pavilion to catch all the activities.
- Tuesday, March 14, 10AM-12PM: Craft with the Green Team, wildlife study of animal skins and skulls with Alabama 4H and water wheels outdoor conservation lab and activity with The Alabama Cooperative Extension System
- Wednesday, March 15, 10AM-12PM: Craft with the Green Team, wildlife forestry study with Tree ID with Alabama 4H and water wheels outdoor conservation lab and activity with The Alabama Cooperative Extension System
- Thursday, March 16, 10AM-12PM: Craft with Green Team, hands-on activity with the Land Trust of North Alabama, water experiments with Alabama 4H and water wheels outdoor conservation lab and activity with The Alabama Cooperative Extension System
4. Big Ol’ Ballpark Fair
Toyota Field couldn’t have timed it better. The Big Ol’ Ballpark Fair is back, and it’ll be in town all the way through spring break. It’s been a hit the past three years, and we expect nothing less this year.
- Location: Toyota Field, 500 Trash Panda Way, Madison, AL 35758
- Dates: Friday, March 10-Sunday, March 19
- More Details
5. Flex your creative muscle
When spring is in the air, it seems to carry with it inspiration and creativity. These spots in Huntsville will help you channel all that creative energy. Plus, you might just find a new hobby.
- Head to Pinot’s Palette and let them guide you through one of their fun painting sessions—here’s their schedule!
- Pour a custom candle (spring-scented, anyone?) at Holtz Leather Company or Embrace Candles.
- Get your wheels spinning at Sullivan Street Pottery or The Vessel Community Ceramics Studio.
Want updates like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter today.
You must be logged in to post a comment.