Labor Day weekend is coming up, and while we know many of you will spend at least some of the weekend watching college football (I mean, we are in Alabama, after all), we have some suggestions for more stuff to do over the long weekend here in Huntsville.
Whether you are looking for indoor or outdoor activities, you’ll find plenty to do around town:
Check out some art, museums + parks
Okay, we know being indoors might be preferable with the summer heat still a factor, so try checking out these spots during the weekend:
- Take a day to enjoy the U.S. Space & Rocket Center.
- Experience some of the exhibits at Huntsville Museum of Art, including Picasso prints, Courtney Egan’s Encounters exhibit and more.
- Take the kiddos to Early Works Children’s Museum.
- Have a picnic or just put out a blanket and read a book at the beautiful Big Spring Park.
- Hang out at Dublin Memorial Park in Madison.
- Check out Burritt on the Mountain, Huntsville’s open-air museum.
See some live music to kick off Huntsville Music Month
September is Huntsville Music Month, so Labor Day weekend in Huntsville is also the kick-off to a month-long celebration of Huntsville music.
All weekend at Big Spring Park, you’ll get a chance to catch some free live music from fabulous artists:
Friday, Sept. 1
- Deqn Sue + Kelvin Wooten
- Common Man
- Dante’ Pride
- Special Performance by The Alabama A&M Maroon and White Marching Band
- Vibes Courtesy of The DJ Kartel
Saturday, Sept. 2
- Lamont Landers
- Element XI
- Microwave Dave
- Special Performance by Huntsville Community Drumline Stickmasters
- Vibes Courtesy of The DJ Kartel
Sunday, Sept. 3
Opening weekend of Jazz in the Park-Huntsville
- Jessy J
- Tr3ple Threat
- Erisa Nicole
Eat some delicious local food
Labor Day weekend is also a great time to go out to eat, and the Huntsville area has some great restaurants to check out. Here are some of our suggestions:
- Domaine South: One of Downtown Huntsville’s gems. Find them at 200 Westside Square Huntsville, AL 35801.
- Main Street Cafe: Recently re-opened after a fire forced a brief closing. We love Main Street Cafe in Madison. 101 Main St. Madison, AL 35758
- Eat a delicious pizza at Sam & Greg’s and cool off with some gelato. Visit them at 116 Southside Square in Downtown Huntsville or at the Madison location at 364 Hughes Road.
- Do you like donuts? There are plenty of spots to grab awesome donuts in the Huntsville area.
- How about burgers? We have some good burger joints here in town as well.
- We have some cool ice cream and frozen treat spots in the area as well. Check these out.
Sip on a local craft beer in Huntsville
The Huntsville area is home to some fabulous craft breweries. Why not visit one or more of these breweries during Labor Day weekend? In fact, you could even make a day of it. Here are some of the Huntsville area’s craft breweries:
- Yellowhammer Brewing: 2600 Clinton Ave W, Huntsville, AL 35805
- Straight to Ale: 2610 Clinton Ave W, Huntsville, AL 35805
- Old Black Bear: 208 Main St, Madison, AL 35758
- Innerspace Brewing: 2414 Clinton Ave W, Huntsville, AL 35805
- Green Bus Brewery: 206 Eustis Ave SE, Huntsville, AL 35801
- Mad Malts: 109 Maple Ave NW, Huntsville, AL 35801
- Chandler’s Ford Brewing: 109 North Side Square, Huntsville, AL 35801
- Rocket Republic Brewing: 617 Meridian St N, Huntsville, AL 35801
Hike some of Huntsville’s gorgeous nature preserves
I know the heat has been unbearable lately, but hopefully by Labor Day weekend it won’t be quite as oppressive and will be cool enough to enjoy a hike at one of the Huntsville area’s beautiful hiking trails:
- Green Mountain Preserve
- Monte Sano Nature Preserve
- Blevins Gap Preserve
- Wade Mountain Nature Preserve
- Hays Nature Preserve
Want guides like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter today.