The holiday season would just not be complete without catching a performance of Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker,” and fortunately for Huntsvillians, our very own Huntsville Ballet Company is back for its 53rd annual production of the classic ballet.
And for this year’s performance, Huntsville Ballet will be accompanied by the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra. Here’s some more info:
‘The Nutcracker’ – Dec. 9-11
For those who may need a refresher, “The Nutcracker” tells the story of a gift from Clara’s mysterious godfather Drosselmeyer. As the magical Nutcracker comes to life, the characters are whisked away to The Land of the Sweets, where they are welcomed by the Sugar Plum Fairy and entertained by a dazzling array of colorful characters.
Highlights of the production include a magical growing Christmas tree, an onstage blizzard of snowflakes, dancing flowers and Mother Ginger’s iconic skirt.
Here are some basics about the performance:
- Performances are scheduled for December 9-11 at the Von Braun Center’s Mark C Smith Concert Hall.
- The production features Huntsville Ballet’s entire roster of professional dancers, complemented by a cast of more than 80 students from Huntsville Ballet School, the official school of Huntsville Ballet.
- Regular performances are scheduled for Friday, December 9, at 7:30PM, Saturday, December 10, at 2PM and 7:30PM and Sunday, December 11, at 1PM.
- Special performances include Military Night for military and spouses Dec. 8, and two private performances for area third grade students Dec. 8-9.
- The set is designed by David Harwell, the theater program director at The University of Alabama in Huntsville, and costumes are designed by Lisa Ordway, Resident Costume Designer at Huntsville Ballet.
“We are extraordinarily grateful to be back on stage with the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra for the 2022 holiday season and excited to present a classical portrayal of the characters that Huntsville, as well as the entire ballet world, have grown to love.”Phillip Otto, artistic director of Huntsville Ballet
More info on Huntsville Ballet
Patrons from across Alabama and the Tennessee Valley travel to Huntsville to enjoy the artistry of Huntsville Ballet’s professional dancers, complemented by the work of pre-professional and junior company members and guest artists.
Audiences enjoy the art of classical ballet in performances like Romeo and Juliet, The Firebird, and The Sleeping Beauty, as well as new and diverse choreography featured in works like Stage Door Canteen and The Tumbleweed Suite.
Huntsville Ballet’s annual performances of The Nutcracker afford students from Huntsville Ballet School the opportunity to audition and perform alongside the professional company. Huntsville Ballet’s performances and outreach programs serve the community by reaching broad audiences to share the wonder of classical ballet.
Huntsville Ballet Company and School operate under the umbrella of the Community Ballet Association, Inc., a non-profit member of the state and local Arts Councils, incorporated in 1964.
To purchase tickets to “The Nutcracker,” visit www.huntsvilleballet.org or call 256-539-0961.