If you head south for long enough on Hwy 431, you’ll find yourself in the South Huntsville neighborhood locals call Hampton Cove.
I met up with Hampton Cove native and RealtySouth agent Katie Gallagher to get a feel for the neighborhood and find out her favorite things about living there. Read on to see what I found out.
Defining the neighborhood
There are no hard boundaries on Hampton Cove, which was originally named after a single subdivision in the area. Generally, the moniker has grown to encompass the entire area surrounding Hwy 431 south of Monte Sano, overlapping with the northern part of Owens Cross Roads.
1. Goldsmith Schiffman Wildlife Sanctuary
- Address: Taylor & Terry Drake Rd, Owens Cross Roads, AL 35763
- Hours: 6AM-8PM daily
2. J.D. and Annie S. Hayes Nature Preserve
- Address: 7161 US-431, Owens Cross Roads, AL 35763
- Hours: 6AM-8PM daily
3. Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail at Hampton Cove
The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail at Hampton Cove has 54 holes and three different courses to check out.
Try the Highlands Course if you’re up for a challenge, or test your skills with the River Course, which has water on 16 of 18 holes. If you’re looking for something a bit simpler, the Short Course is suited to golfers of all skill levels.
4. Good eats
- Tortora’s is the best spot for casual Italian fare in Hampton Cove. Open Tuesday-Saturday 4:30-8PM.
- Buenavista and El Olmeca are go-to spots for delicious Mexican food. Buenavista is open Sunday-Thursday 11AM-9PM and Friday-Saturday 11AM-10PM. El Olmeca’s hours are Saturday-Thursday 11AM-9PM and Friday 11AM-10PM.
- Mudslingers is a drive-thru coffee spot with coffee, tea and bakery items. Open Monday-Friday 6AM-2PM and Saturday 8AM-1PM.
- Yoshi Sushi Fusion was featured in our sushi guide and is Hampton Cove’s spot for delicious and inventive sushi rolls and more. Open Sunday 12-2:30PM and 4:30-9:30PM, Monday-Thursday 11AM-2:30PM and 4:30-9:30PM, Friday 11AM-2:30PM and 4:30-10PM and Saturday 12-2:30PM and 4:30-10PM.
5. Community events
- Grub at the Grid is a food truck rally hosted at 211 SE Taylor Rd, Owens Cross Roads, AL 35763 during the warmer months. Keep an eye out for the first event of 2023, coming soon!
- Family events are hosted throughout the year at Hays Nature Preserve, from festivals to educational experiences for all ages.