Earth Day 2022 will be this Friday, and we know exactly how you should celebrate.
In Huntsville, you’ve got lots of options, from free events for environmentalists of all ages to local organizations you can donate your money and time to. Read on for our suggestions.
1. Earth Day at Hays Nature Preserve
This Saturday, bring the whole family out to Hays Nature Preserve for a day full of learning and fun. The City of Huntsville’s Operation Green Team, Rocket City Mom and Cove Monkey are cohosting this event, which will feature demonstrations from the Southeastern Raptor Center, plant giveaways, food, face painting, interactive displays and more.
- When: Saturday, April 23, 10AM-2PM
- Where: J.D. & Annie S. Hays Nature Preserve, 7161 US-431, Owens Cross Roads, AL 35763
2. Earth Day with Pure Joy Plants
Did you know that Huntsville has a plant truck? Pure Joy Plants will be set up outside Altar’d State at Bridge Street Town Centre this Friday evening. There’s no time like the present to add a little more green to your home.
- When: Friday, April 22, 4-7PM
- Where: Altar’d State at Bridge Street Town Centre, 365 The Bridge St NW, Huntsville, AL 35806
3. North Alabama Drive Electric Earth Day Event
If you’ve been on the fence about going electric, this event is for you. Alabama Clean Fuels Coalition and Drive Electric Alabama will be stationed at Holtz Leather Co. to answer all your questions about electric vehicles.
- When: Saturday, April 23, 11AM-2PM
- Where: Holtz Leather Co., 1214 Meridian St N, Huntsville, AL 35801
We gave you the full scoop on HSVegFest last week, but if you missed that download, here’s what you need to know. Downtown Huntsville. Vegan eats. Live music. Unique vendors. Endless fun. The event is spearheaded by Hippea Camper, one of Huntsville’s favorite spots for vegan food.
5. Earth Day activities at Huntsville/Madison County Public Libraries
Huntsville/Madison County Public Libraries are hosting Earth Day-themed activities as part of their regular programming this week. Here are the classes you (and your kiddos) might be interested in:
STEAMsters: Grades K-2
- When: Tuesday, April 19, 4-5PM
- Where: Downtown Huntsville Library, 915 Monroe St SW, Huntsville, AL 35801
North Huntsville STEAM Club: Ages 7 & under
- When: Thursday, April 21, 4-4:45PM
- Where: North Huntsville Public Library, 3011 Sparkman Dr NW, Huntsville, AL 35810
Other ways to celebrate
6. Get outdoors
What better way to celebrate the earth than to get outside and experience it. We’re supposed to have beautiful weather this week, with highs in the 80s from Earth Day this Friday throughout the weekend. Here are a few guides to local trails:
- Huntsville hiking trails you should try
- Guide to Madison’s greenways
- Huntsville’s newest mountain-biking trail
- HudsonAlpha’s outdoor exhibit
7. Support a nonprofit
Donate your time or your money to a local organization working to preserve Huntsville’s beautiful natural world. Here are a few ideas: