Alright lovebirds, this one’s for you. Wondering how to plan the perfect first date with your (potential) new +1? Read on for 15 Huntsville date ideas you should take a chance on.
A coffee shop makes the perfect spot for a first date. Lots of local spots are running summer drink specials right now—why not try something new while you’re there? Here are a few of my favorites:
- L’Etoile Patisserie is a French bakery that is one of my favorite spots in town. Grab an almond croissant and a baguette for the road as you sip your coffee.
- The Moon Bakeshop is always pumping out fresh pastries, pies and cakes, and the cute shop is the perfect spot to get to know someone new.
BONUS: Don’t miss our full guides to coffee in Madison and Huntsville.
See a show
There’s so much talent in Huntsville, from the burgeoning stand-up comedy scene to the brand-new, always hopping Orion Amphitheater. Grab tickets to a show at one of these great spots:
- Stand Up Live regularly hosts special engagements featuring popular comics, plus comedy classes and open-mic nights throughout the week.
- At Shenanigans Comedy Theatre, you’ll be able to find affordable stand-up and improv shows fit for every audience. Tickets are usually around $10 apiece, so you’ll have enough cash to grab a snack or drink to enjoy during the show.
- The Orion Amphitheater is one of Huntsville’s best new attractions and has already hosted artists like Chris Stapleton, Dave Matthews Band and Kenny Chesney in the few months it’s been open.
- The Von Braun Center is always hosting shows in its many venues, including Propst Arena, the Mark C. Smith Concert Hall and Mars Music Hall. Find an artist you both love and watch the show together, then take a walk around Big Spring Park to end the evening.
BONUS: 7 spots in Huntsville where you can see comedy open-mics.
If your idea of a romantic evening is taking on a sporting challenge, we’ve got what you’re looking for here.
- Head to TopGolf. Grab a bite there, or visit one of MidCity’s many delicious eateries—why not try Salt Factory Pub?
- Pints and Pixels is a super fun place for date night. Try your hand at vintage arcade games like Skee-Ball and pinball, all within a short walk of Campus No. 805.
- Go axe throwing at Bad Axe downtown or Civil Axe Throwing at Campus No. 805.
Huntsville has lots of great community events that are happening all summer long and into the fall. Why not let these great locales be the backdrop of your next date night?
- Biergarten is back at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center. You can enjoy delicious German food and beer under the Saturn V starting this week.
- U.S. Space and Rocket Center, select Thursdays starting August 4, 4:30-7:30PM | Tickets
- Cocktails at the View is one of my favorite events I’ve attended this year. Head to Burritt on the Mountain on Wednesday evenings for local music, drinks, charcuterie and the best views in town.
- Burritt on the Mountain, Wednesdays April-October, 5-8PM
- Golden Hour at the Garden is the after-hours Huntsville Botanical Garden event of my dreams. Grab a bite and mill through the garden while you listen to great music from local artists at the most beautiful time of day.
- Huntsville Botanical Garden, Wednesdays April-August, 5-7:30PM
- Food Truck vs. Food Trailer Rallies are happening twice a month through October, and they’re one of your best opportunities to sample all of the great local vendors Huntsville has to offer.
- Big Spring Park, every first and third Friday May-October, 5-9PM
Museums + more
- Head to the Huntsville Museum of Art and view some of their stunning exhibits, like Dorothea Lange’s America. Plus, admission is only $5 after 5 on Thursdays.
- Visit the U.S. Space and Rocket Center for info about the history and tech of the space program throughout the years. Plus, their Cocktails and Cosmos event (tickets) is a great way to learn something new while enjoying a fun drink with a new friend.
Tell us about the best date you went on in Huntsville on Facebook or Instagram!
You must be logged in to post a comment.