There’s lots going on this weekend in Huntsville (and we’ve got your covered there), but what about next week? Maybe you’ve got kids out of school all week, or you’ve got relatives coming from out of town. Either way, you’re probably wondering, “What should we do?”
We’ve got you covered. These 7 activities are sure to please the whole family this Thanksgiving break.
1. Pour a candle
We are definitely in candle season at this point. Making your own candle is a fun activity (speaking from personal experience!). The process of picking your scent, pouring your candle and lighting it at home is a memorable experience.
- Head over to Holtz Leather Co. in Huntsville or Madison to experience their candle bar at both locations. Find all the details here.
- Embrace Candles in Lowe Mill has a candle workshop where you can pour your own candle. Book a time and find out more here.
2. Go for a hike
Looking to get outdoors? It’s looking like the weather will be favorable for hiking next week. It’ll be chilly, with highs mostly in the 40s and 50s, but mostly sunny. Here’s where to go.
- Check out these 7 gorgeous hiking spots in South Huntsville.
- More hiking trails around Huntsville, including ones with waterfalls and caves.
- Looking for somewhere in Madison? We’ve got you covered there, too.
- Sign up for the 27th annual Thanksgiving Day Hike on Monte Sano, November 24 at 9AM.
3. Go bakery-hopping
It’s no secret that we’ve got some amazing bakeries here in Huntsville. Go around trying new things at these bakeries, and you can thank us later.
- Head over to Church Street on Monday to celebrate breadsgiving with 3 Huntsville bakeries.
- Here’s our guide to 7 cute bakeries in Huntsville, plus our recommendations there.
- Looking specifically for cookies? We don’t blame you. Here’s 7 places to get them.
4. Take a creative class
Exercise your creative muscle this Thanksgiving break with some classes at local painting and pottery studios. Who knows, you might just find a new hobby!
- Sign up for a painting class at Pinot’s Palette next week. They’ve got several events on their schedule, including Thanksgiving trivia on Tuesday!
- Take a pottery class at Sullivan Street Pottery in Madison. They’ve got wheel throwing, project and self-directed classes, and you can find out more here!
- It’s a great time to get involved at The Vessel Community Ceramics Studio! Become a member, start a course or schedule a private consultation.
BONUS: We interviewed The Vessel owners Ashlyn and Jordyn to find out more about the story behind their new studio. Here’s what we found out!
5. Experience all things ice
Do you prefer to watch people on ice or be on the ice yourself? You’ve got options this Thanksgiving.
- The Huntsville Havoc is taking on Birmingham and Evansville at the Propst Arena on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Find the schedule and get tickets on their website.
- Itching to get on the ice yourself? Here’s 3 places in Huntsville where you can do just that (including a brand-new option this season!
6. Go shopping
It’s that time of year—holiday shopping has begun! Whether you need gifts, some new outfits or fresh decor, we’ve got you covered.
- Gather up your five receipts from participating stores in Shop Local-opoly for a chance to win up to $650 in gift cards! This fun way to shop local is put on by the Huntsville/Madison County Chamber of Commerce.
- Needing a wardrobe update for these chilly temperatures or upcoming holiday parties? Here’s 5 boutiques in Huntsville for sweater weather.
- Get your home ready for holiday season with these 7 local shops where you can find the jolliest holiday decor.
7. Check out what’s new in Huntsville
Thanksgiving break is the perfect opportunity to go check out the new spots you may have missed. There’s lots to explore, including new restaurants and coffee shops!
- Grab some Indian cuisine in Five Points at The Curry or some Mediterranean food at Cava on Whitesburg Drive.
- Visit John Hunt Park to see its first fitness court that just opened (and catch the cool art!).
- Town Madison has several new restaurants, including Taco Mama, SaZa Serious Italian and Prohibition.
- Warm up with some delicious drinks at three new coffee shops: Lux Bru in Madison, Turbo Coffee in Lincoln Mill and the new Honest Coffee location in Madison.
That’s a wrap! Let us know what you’re doing this Thanksgiving break on social media by tagging us @hvilleblast or using our hashtag #hvilleblast.